install xp home on HP Pavilion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ftjjk

okay, Im in serious hurt here. my restore disc no longer works on this machine. I have an hp pavillion with XP Home edition on it. I really need to reformat and rebuild the machine but I don't know what options I have here. I tried another XP Home disc from a friend and used my license key off of the sticker on the machine but it said it was not a valid key. are there different discs for different type of license and which one will I need for this machine so I can use the license key that I have.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need the CD's from HP. Contact them and order the CD's for this system. Most run at about $20.00 US.

SUEOHIO

SUE
why doesnt the restore disk work? is it dirty? damaged?what type of xp home disk did u use?u have to use retail to retail oem to oem home to home and pro to pro etc.the way ive understood it is if its a retail version the disk can be used and then u use your coa sticker and install and activate. an oem are the ones that look like a hologram and that the coa sticker with it can only be used on one machine and one machine only.hope this helps u. if im wrong im sure someone will maybe have a better suggestion.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't mention the model number of your HP Pavilion.

If it's an older model and you can't order the recovery CD kit from HP/Compaq, this site might help you.

If it's quite old, you don't really want to use a recovery CD kit and revert it back to such an outdated condition - along with all the bloatware and demo crap that originally came with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online