1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install XP (Not reinstall)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dave3009, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

Hi Folks

I am trying to install XP on a fresh HDD to no avail. The problem I have is that my PC will not recognise my keyboard, it recognises my mouse but not my keyboard so I can't get into BIOS.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? If so can I get some help to try and fix it so as I can complete my install.

Thanks for any help

KR

Dave

p.s. I will probably need further assistance. lol, bit of a newb

2. NateRD23

NateRD23

What type of keyboard are you using? PS/2 or an USB keyboard? Try booting into windows. Right-click My Computer -> Click Manage -> Click on Device Manager -> Then there should be a button that looks like a computer on the far right that if you hover your mouse over it it will say Scan for Hardware Changes. Click that and make sure that your keyboard is plugged in.

Also try a different keyboard that you know works. You can also try, if USB, a different USB port on your PC.

3. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

Hi

I have both USB and PS/2 keyboards that I am using, I have tried every available USB slot. Both Keyboards work in other PC's. I cannot access any settings as the HDD is completely blank and I am trying to install XP on it.

I have other working PC's available can I make the HDD a slave and install XP on it using one of them

Thanks again

Dave

4. dez_666

dez_666

I have a similar problem as you. I have a 70$ Wolfclaw Type II keyboard that is USB, and it even has a 2 port hub on it. but I cant use it before windows boots..every once in a while. In my BIOS log ill get errors saying something like "Keyboard not ready" or something. So I have a 5$ plain white PS/2 keyboard hooked up to my PC at all times resting on top of my case out of the way. =]

just get a ps/2 keyboard as a backup. like i said, mine was 5$, so you can find a plain keyboard cheap. (y)

5. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

I actually bought both keyboards today and they were the most basic keyboards I could get. My HDD is blank and I did previously set CD as the first boot in BIOS. Should I try a different CD Drive?

6. dez_666

dez_666

umm...check all your cables in your case, check your jumper on your drives, make sure you set up your BIOS right, make sure you have the jumpers on the motherboard set correctly..and if you have a spare CD-ROm drive, try it out :p

7. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

OK

I pushed all the cables in to check they were good. I have the CD drive jumper as master, the floppy has no jumper, the HDD has been set as both master and no jumper neither work. I cannot access BIOS as I have no keyboard operational to set it up.

Thanks

Dave

8. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

Forgot to add that I tried a CD Drive from an operational PC to no avail.

9. dez_666

dez_666

well...you kind of need a working keyboard. :rolleyes:
    does the PS/2 keyboard work on another PC?
    and also, check to make sure that the pins inside the PS/2 connector arent bent.

10. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

When I plug the PS/2 keyboard in the 'lock' lights flash up briefly but then they go and it doesn't work.

Is there a way of installing the OS through a working PC using the blank HDD as a slave?

11. dez_666

dez_666

Uhm, yea as far as i know you can install XP on a blank hard drive. :rolleyes:
    just put it in another PC, set the CD drive to first boot device, but MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT DRIVE YOU ARE INSTALLING TO!

try not to overwrite the operating system already on the working PC. ;)

12. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

I really appreciate your help, many thanks I will try this. Should I boot up the PC then insert the disk? (this works) then install to location, or install from a fresh boot up?

13. dez_666

dez_666

eh i just thought of something, this might not work because i think when you install XP, it installs based on the current hardware configuration, and since its not in the PC you actually want it on, it may not work :(

14. dave3009

dave3009 Thread Starter

OK No I have removed the useful HDD from working PC and have the blank HDD hooked up and it seems to be working. I have a feeling that I have some kind of chipset issues and this will be a problem as I have NO driver disks for the PC I am reviving

15. dez_666

dez_666

you could always download a chipset/BIOS update and put it on a CD or floppy :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice