1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

install xp profesional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paublo, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paublo

paublo Thread Starter

I have a freind who upgraded to xp pro. from m. e. Apperently the install went fine but she nows get a shut down problem every 2 mins. or so. Would like any sugestions or previous threads for advice

Thanks

2. mobo

mobo

For starters , upgrading from millenium to xp is not recommended but in any event have your friend post a hijackthis log for a look at.

3. kben1028

kben1028

I had a similar problem when i upgraded from ME to XP Pro. When I upgraded mine, my computer kept rebooting over and over in a loop. I uninstalled XP and reverted back to my ME for a while. Several weeks later I decided to try XP again. But I didn't do an upgrade. My suggestion would be to back up the data from the hard drive. Then format the drive to clear it, and run a clean install of XP Pro. After I did this, my XP has run smooth as silk ever since. Make sure you have the drivers for your hardware, etc. handy as you may need to reinstall some drivers after the install. You also may need to update some of your drivers. Most hardware manufacturers supply updated drivers for download from their websites.

A format and clean install would be my opinion. But I'm no tech expert. Just thought I'd make a suggestion from my personal experience. If anyone else here has any other potential solutions, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

4. greengeek

greengeek

Did she install the last couple of MS critical updates? If not then there's your problem.

5. paublo

paublo Thread Starter

thx everyone i will talk to her and find out more

6. pileyrei

pileyrei

You mentioned a shut down problem every two minutes or so?
    Is there a message..like...."your pc is being shutdown by blah blah blah. This has been authorised by blah blah blah etc"

If so, this is a recent virus.......can't remember the name though.

Just curious.

g/l

Pileyrei

7. mobo

mobo

Blaster worm which would show up in the Hijacj log if present.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice