install xp profesional

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paublo

I have a freind who upgraded to xp pro. from m. e. Apperently the install went fine but she nows get a shut down problem every 2 mins. or so. Would like any sugestions or previous threads for advice

Thanks

For starters , upgrading from millenium to xp is not recommended but in any event have your friend post a hijackthis log for a look at.

I had a similar problem when i upgraded from ME to XP Pro. When I upgraded mine, my computer kept rebooting over and over in a loop. I uninstalled XP and reverted back to my ME for a while. Several weeks later I decided to try XP again. But I didn't do an upgrade. My suggestion would be to back up the data from the hard drive. Then format the drive to clear it, and run a clean install of XP Pro. After I did this, my XP has run smooth as silk ever since. Make sure you have the drivers for your hardware, etc. handy as you may need to reinstall some drivers after the install. You also may need to update some of your drivers. Most hardware manufacturers supply updated drivers for download from their websites.

A format and clean install would be my opinion. But I'm no tech expert. Just thought I'd make a suggestion from my personal experience. If anyone else here has any other potential solutions, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Did she install the last couple of MS critical updates? If not then there's your problem.

You mentioned a shut down problem every two minutes or so?
Is there a message..like...."your pc is being shutdown by blah blah blah. This has been authorised by blah blah blah etc"

If so, this is a recent virus.......can't remember the name though.

Just curious.

g/l

Pileyrei

Blaster worm which would show up in the Hijacj log if present.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online