Install XPpro on top of 2000pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelprude

Can I install XP on top of 2K? I have a 1.7ghz 1gig ram P4. I have 2 drives one master other slave. Is it difficult? Can it screw it up? Do you recommend it?
Thanks

crjdriver

Do you mean an in-place upgrade?

You can upgrade win2k to xp pro; not home version.

Can it screw up? Yes.

Do you recommend it? No. I do not recommend upgrades. I would do a clean install.

With any undertaking, make sure you backup anything important.

angelprude

How about having two OS's? When you say clean install do you mean erasing everything from the drive or drives?

crjdriver

Yes, you can dual boot the system. Boot with your xp cd and install. Make sure you install to a different drive / partition than what you have win2k installed to. After you have finished the install, you will have a boot menu allowing you to choose which os you want to boot.

crjdriver

You will have access to all data, however for an app to run it must be installed in each os. As an example you cannot install office in win2k and expect to run office in xp unless you install it in xp as well. This is necessary in order to get the registry entries in the os.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online