1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installation blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voxangelorum, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. voxangelorum

voxangelorum Thread Starter

Hi

I moved to Korea recently but I brought a samsung 40GB hd with me from US hoping I could install it if I ever got a computer here. Luckily, just last week I inherited an intel PII system with a recent samsung 40GB hd in it (partitioned into 20 and 20)(warranty expired Dec2003.) I have been have an awful time trying to get the system to see the three drives (the two partitions on the original, and the one I want to install.) Help!

Here are the specs. For convenience let's call the inherited partitioned hd drives c: and d:, and the one I brought, the same which I want to add, e:/

W98SE on e:
    w98 (haven't verified if SE) on c:

Identical hd models! Samsung SPO411N/DOM or SP0411N/DOM, each 40GB/7200RPM
    Jumper settings are a source of confusion - according to the sticker on the top of each hd,

General pin setting for master (1drive) is pins 1,5 (numbering across 1-4, then bottom 5-8) (obviously, the partitioned drive doesn't fit that description so should I observe or ignore this?)
    General pin setting for slave is empty (no jumper) and for a third category called cable select (which I don't understand, given you can't really change the place on the mobo ribbon via a new jumper setting) is 3,7

There is another jumper category called
    Limit capacity to 32GB and its settings are:
    master (1drive) 1,5; 2,6; for slave 2,6; for cable select 2,6;3,7

The mobo specs

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    W6119MS v2.10 081200
    Intel (r) Celeron (TM) -MMX CPU at 500MHz (however, in hardware settings when I successfully run the single c: and d: hd, it shows Pentium II processor)
    Host Bus 66MHz
    Memory test runs 131,000K (just a bit over, don't remember the last three digits - the point is, it's over 128,000K)

Not sure if this relates to the mobo but at the bottom it shows 08/21/2000-;440BX-W977-2A69KM4AC-00

I have been playing with different settings and I've even gone into BIOS to try and make the computer 'see' the hdds under ide auto detection. Not generally successful. Sometimes it will say it sees three drives under the test for primary master/slave secondary master/slave but when I try to assign one, the subsequent searches yield zeroes for the slave/ or secondary master/slave results (where have the other hdds gone?)

I get boot failures, invalid system disks (likely due to ineffective jumper settings combinations) and sometimes no boot at all just a hang after the start up memory test. occasionally I can make the computer see one hd. Help! I know there is a way out of this.

2. Rockn

Rockn

What are the make and model of the original drives in the PC? Those drives also need to have their jumpers changed if you are adding drives on the same ribbon cable.

3. SacsTC

SacsTC

4. voxangelorum

voxangelorum Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm not sure about your use of the word 'original'. :confused: The only hard drives in my possession are the two samsung models I described. There is a CD-ROM and a 3.5" floppy drive. They are on a separate ribbon, and I'm not counting them in the listed inventory (but I am thinking about mounting one of the hdds on that other ribbon, if all else fails...)

If you are asking about some manufacturer-specific drive that came with the computer mobo originally, I can't verify if that was even the case. It could well have come empty, requiring a hdd purchase, or it could have been built from scratch. What I know is the only hard disks that exist are the two samsungs: one came with the computer and that was the one I mentioned has a partition; the other one I brought from overseas and it just turns out fortunately these two are identical models, so I hope I can remove manufacturer incompatibility from the list of possible problems.

The jumper setting on the (partitioned) hard disk is 1,5. Currently I have the 2nd hdd unattached but mounted.

But here's something new: It occurs to me that the original hdd has Korean-version windows 98 (which is always experiencing a partial crash) and my hdd has English version windows 98 (which is missing a .vxd file... I'm about to reinstall windows) Also the keyboard I got has Korean and English characters. Would the two different language versions of Windows interfere with the ability of the computer to see the two hdds/three drives? I can't see how this would even involve the BIOS or IDE auto-detection process.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice