installation disaster

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

milligano

hey, got a major problem i need some good advice on. have been constructing a new pc. everything is in place, and every component is definately compatible with one another. the problem is when i try to install XP, im able to load the windows files, including a sata driver for my 160 gb maxtor, from a floppy disk. when it prompts me to continue with installation by pressing ENTER, i press enter and the computer restarts.... whats all that about? replies would be much obliged. chris

I would just forget the SATA driver and stick to getting windows installed. You can always update that driver later.

Good Luck

milligano

have tried this but windows cant detect the harddrive without the driver. any other suggestions? cheers chris

Is bios set for default? upon start hit f6 and try loading driver from there. I had same pblm on a new build with sata and used this approch for the driver install. good luck

milligano

yep bios is set to default, ive tried lots of different settings. to load the sata drivers, i press f6 when windows starts to load the files for installation. Nobody knows :confused:

milligano

well, i thought you had done me proud there - it said PLEASE WAIT so i waited, and waited- it seemed to freeze on me. rebooted and tried the same thing again and now its back to restarting- argh! somethings very wrong...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online