Installation not setting proper permissions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sachss

I am at a lost what is happening...
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I noticed that after I install a program that goes to either "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders, the permissions are incorrectly set. Other folders seem to be fine.

So I manually take ownership using my personal account (apart of the Administrators group) and have to give myself "full control" to the folder, its contents and sub-folders. Which can take some time to do.

But this is just treating the symptoms, not the actual problem.

So my questions are:
(1) Does some one know how I fix the "installation process" itself so this does not happen again?
(2) What are the correct permission(s) that should be used?
(3) How I can fix the existing folders without having to manually go through each and everyone?

managed

Allan
Do you get an error message when you try to install or run a program using the Program Files or Program Files(x86) and if so what does it say ?

sachss

No error message with the installation, only when I go to the start menu and try to click on the new installed application does it give me an error message about "access is denied" which is when I go taking ownership and full control to myself.

managed

Allan
Right-click the program in the Start Menu then click 'run as administrator' and see if it starts then.
If you don't see the 'run as administrator' option is your user account an administrator account ?

sachss

Running isn't so much the issue, as just proper permissions in the first place for new installation going forward, and correctly the permissions of the old installation as I find them.

I would have thought there is a virus messing me up, but AVG and others cannot find anything of the sort.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts