1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installation of 2nd Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kitmac, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kitmac

kitmac Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm installing a second HDD in my system next week.

Just posting for any advice on the following;

1) Do I have to install an OS to the second drive or does the OS on the Master (Win 98 original with Service Pack installed) take care of that?

2) If the second HDD does need a separate OS, could I install Win2k to it (I don't want to install it as the primary OS until I try it out thoroughly)? Or would that be suicide?

3) I think I remember reading somewhere that AMD CPUs (or might have been VIA chipsets) don't like Master/Slave HDD arrangements.

4) Do both HDDs have to be from the same manufacturer? And will it cause problems if they aren't?

My System Spec. is as follows;

T-Bird 900mhz
    ECS K7S5A mobo - SIS735 Chipset
    20 Gig Fujitsu HDD (Master)
    LG CD-ROM (Master)
    LITE-ON CDRW (Slave)
    256mb PC133 ram

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance - forewarned is forearmed!

Best Regards
    Kit

2. CLMSS

CLMSS

You should just go ahead and install the second HDD.The other HDD need not have an OS on it just needs to be formatted.I dont think they have to be from the same manufacturer coz my com is running a Maxtor and a Seagate fine.

3. deuce

deuce

Wether or not you install an OS on the new drive, it has to be formatted. If you want you can install win2k on it, you can, but you can't boot off it unless you manually switch it to the master when you want to use it. If you want to dual boot win98 and win2k they would both have to be on the master drive, each on its own partition. I haven't heard any complaints about win2k, so you might like to use that over 98fe if you don't want to dual boot. 98fe wasn't all that great of an OS but 98se was. To this day it's still good and comes up short of Xp but way above Me. Just make sure when you use both drives you have them jumpered accordingly. My advice is if you are unsure of which OS to use, put the win2k on the new drive and don't put a whole lot else on it, but use the win2k as the master and get a feel for it and see if you like it better. You can always dual boot, but I think you will want win2k over 98fe and that way you can just keep the win2k as is and either reformat the 98fe for the extra space, or just leave it as it is as a slave drive. Two HD work well on the same IDE but a HD and a cd on the same one generally don't and have problems sharing data and such.

4. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1

Hello,
    If you want to dual boot and share files between the 98 and 2000 harddrives make sure you format 2000 to fat32 and not NTFS. 98 will not read NTFS unless you have a third party driver.
    Good Luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice