1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installation of a software in LInux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by shakeel, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakeel

shakeel Thread Starter

Hi.
    I have installed red hat Linux 9.the problem is that my Linux does not play any song (video or audio).i use windows X .I have no much information about Linux. Please tell me the method of installation of any software (package).i has installed Linux but I don’t know that what the method of installation of software on Linux is.
    I have downloaded (mplayer-1.0.0.2.pre2.fr.i386.rpm)& Xine by the help of windows Xp.then I double click on it but I does not installed. When I double click on it then an installation windows is opened but after some progress it use to close.
    I also try by the help of a terminal. I write a command in terminal (rpm-ivh/home/shakeel/mplayer-1.0.0.2.pre2.fr.i386.rpm) but terminal tell me that there is no any file in home/shakeel.
    Now I am telling to u that who I mounted my partitions. Now this time Linux only show me the data on my partitions like c,d,e,f,g.I cannot delete or paste any data in these partions.Also Linux does not run internet by modem so I downloaded mplayer from XP and copied it into Linux partition .I pasted it into home/shakeel.But I could not install it. I have tried many times for installation and downloading but I remained fail.
    When I try to install the software from my data partition then linux tell me that I have no permission to do it.
    i am telling to u that what i did with my computer. I have a hard disk of 80GB.i have 5 partitions c,d,e,f,g.their names are windows98 ,windowsxp,data,games,&amusment respectivily.there is win 98 in c and winxp in D . the file system of my partition is fat32.there is a empty space where Linux red hat 9 is installed.
    during the installation of Linux I mounted these partitions.(by the help of the option from where we can select the ( option of automatic partition and disk guard)so i mounted these partitions during the installation. I mounted home/shakeel/win98 ,home/shakeel/winxp ,home/shakeel/data ,home/shakeel/games, &home/shakeel/amusement.
    after the installation of Linux I was able to see these partitions in my home folder. I can see my data on these partitions but I cannot delete or paste any my data. I can only copy from these partitions. Now I have three operating system. I would like to tell u that my Linux does not run internet.
    my modem is lucent win modem. so I downloaded mplayer by the help of winxp.then i ran Linux and copy the installation package from data partition. I pasted it in to home/shakeel in Linux partition.
    So please tell me the method of installation of software.
    Thanks

2. helmut

helmut

One question at at time, also I would drop redhat 9, it is not supported by redhat any more,

[email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice