1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installation of new Creative Webcam Live on Win ME / MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timadams, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Please could anyone give me some technical advice or opinion.

My 14yr old daughter has a Dell Inspirion 4100 laptop (4 years old) running Windows ME with 1GB RAM P-III machine.

The unit has a single USB port with a 4 USB externally powered hub driving the following:
    USB mouse, Modem to a BT Broadband line, the new webcam.

I installled a new "Creative Webcam Live" unit yesterday for her birthday. She uses MSN messenger on the internet using the broadband line and the webcam is intended to provide streamed live video images when chatting to her friends.

The installation did have problems and claimed some files could not be located but I search the c drive for the files required, found them all in c:\windows\system and navigated the installation wizard to them when asked using "browse" and the installation seemed to run to successful completion.

The application software provided titled "Webcam Manage Center" seems to run okay, starts the webcam and we can see high quality real time streamed images in the video window on the screen. So all seems well.

However, when she starts up the internet connection and signs into MSN Messenger with the live video option enabled, the session starts okay with good streamed video working too but quickly (after around 30 secs) the video streaming freezes and the image remains static and does not reset itself. MSN messenger continues without problem and she can type/chat to her friends with the video image there but frozen. This is repeatable and happens every time. The only solution is to halt the webcam session and start again with the same effects resulting.

I wonder if the problem may be due to USB bandwdth? I think its a USB1 or USB1.1 port but there is only one and it is used for broadband modem traffic AND the mouse AND the webcam stream.

I am finding the webcam user manual is useless and says nothing to help at all. I have sent an email to the Creative Support Desk but heard nothing from them. Also the applcation software which is able to change the webcam properties is far from easy to use and all things I have tried to reduce traffic volumes (like go to monochrome or reduce the resolution or frame rate) seems to make no difference. But I have to say that even when I try these property changes in the web cam application viewer without MSN running no obvious changes to the video performance can be seen when I change reslution or frame rate so i am not sure it is taking effect and may be fixed at one setting. I would expect a low frame rate to result in much more stepped streaming and high rate more smooth streaming but it never seems to look any different.

Any ideas what I might try please?

I have checked the system requirements that the webcam claims to need and feel sure that the laptop has all the necessary features. I am at a loss. Perhaps the thing did not install properly after all as I had problems which I can explain if it helps but the system does sem stable when internet msn is not running.

Daughter also reports that internet access also seems to slow down when the webcam is streaming at the same time.

Thanks

Tim

2. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Wot has no one got any ideas for me to try please?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice