Installation of XP on a New Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robert_shelt

IBM Think Pad 380Z Type 2635 - JGU Notebook Computer
Hard Disk 4 Gb
RAM 160 Mb

300 Mhz clock

MS-XP Pro SP 2

I have purchased a 20 Gb hard drive (Fugitsu) to replace the the installed 4 Gb drive. I have previously installed DOS, Windows 3.0, Windows 98; upgraded from Windows Me & 98 to Windows XP on various platforms with very few issues arising.

Using XP Pro CD-ROM, purchased to orginally install XP on the 380Z, I am having little success installing XP on the new 20 Gb drive.

[1] Installation uses MS blue screens for installing Windows XP OS on a virgin or non-bootable drive. each blue screen page pauses (two to four seconds),
user has the opportunity to read a half a screen page of text explanation of three to five options and to select a one letter entry. The computer shuts down if the User entry is not input in the two to four second time. The user then gets to start all over again.

[2] The user gets TWO to FOUR seconds to read the text, make a choice and enter the correct letter (C, L, esc, Enter, et al).

[3] The keyboard pause key has no effect when a text and user input screen is presented.
The keyboard pause key will stop the initial loading of programs from the CD-ROM.

[4] I have tried to other two other Windows XP PRO MS CD-ROMs the installation issues mentioned above also appear in this versions. All CD-ROMs are store copies not from an OEM.

I have had a couple of days experience with his video game style installation; I have actually got Windows installed a couple of times but with problems.

Does anyone have a suggestion; how to SLOW things down so a user can make some thoughtful choices.

My past experience with MS software (since 1976) is good with few problems other then me. If I am doing something stupid please let me know.

This sounds very unusual, maybe fun to video-game junkies, but not the usual state of affairs, I assure you. The screens should pause until you dismiss them---all day if you want.

Can you give details of how you are starting the installation? Are you booting from the XP CD?

robert_shelt

[1] No OS is installed, ie no booting. I have the turn on sequence to start by the reading the CD, then HD and then diskette; Otherwise there would be not installation.

OK, so you are in fact booting from the CD. Are you sure that nothing remains on the hard drive that may be contributing to this?

robert_shelt

[1] I started with a factory sealed drive.

[2] The uP reads the CD first.

[3] The installation procedure erases all files on the hard drive and/or will reformat. MS is very through it carefully checks everything on the drive before presenting a screen. It just that the User never gets to read the screen thoughtfully.

This is not a problem that I have ever heard of before. It is most unusual, and I have to wonder about things like overly sensitive keys on a keyboard, and even the CD itself. Is it a standard installation CD and not one intended for automated installations or some other such specialized purpose? No screen just automatically disappears at the beginning of setup untill it has been dismissed and options chosen (at least that's what it should do).

Though MS does scan the drive, not everything is detectable by setup. I assume that a factory-sealed drive would be blank, but that is not necessarily true.

So, I'd suggest trying a new mouse and keyboard (I'm assuming that you are using a PS/2 keyboard, but if not, try one, rather than a USB).

And, just to be sure that the drive is truly empty, boot from a 98 boot disk, run fdisk to remove all partitions, create a new partition, and format it FAT32 from the floppy just to be sure the format is possible and will proceed without problems.

Win98SE Boot Disk

Failing that, you may have a defective CD. But one way to find out would be to begin the installation with the 6-floppy installation boot disks that themselves produce some option screens. If those don't stay around long, then you will know it is not the CD.

XP Setup Boot Disks

robert_shelt

Thank you for you concern and reply.

[1] You apparently missed my qualification of CD-ROMs in my problem statement. CD was used to install XP on the 4Gb drive in the 380Z. It came with W98 logo screen only. :)

[2] I have used at least two other store bought XP Pro CD-ROMs. I hope you understand this. :)

[3] My experience is that when MS software says it removes all programs or formats the disk that all programs are erased. Formatting itself removes all programs. I hope you understand this. ;)

[4] Installing W98 sounds like something I would like to try; it would be in the condition I got the computer originally. The installation when VERY smooth then. :)

[5] Today, I took the computer and new hard drive to Fry's Electronics (where I bout the 20 Mb drive). They offer a clone old drive to new drive service, but service is not warranted. I have scheduled 12:00 PM Friday for pickup. I am desperate and I think I just blow $180. :confused:

Formatting does not remove everything from the disk, as any forensics person will tell you. Even a full format leaves data on the drive. Removing and replacing partitions does not remove everything from the drive. It merely makes it less accessible.

XP's partition-handling routine (diskpart) does not identify, remove, or affect all partition types. It searches for common types. Some partitions are not even detected.

Good luck at Fry's.

robert_shelt

Installation of XP on a New Hard Drive

[1] Fry's Service Technician called today (Thursday) to say the 380Z and cloned 20 Gb hard drive were ready for pickup. :)

[2] The IBM Thinkpad 380Z boots up and all programs tested run satisfactorily. :p

[3] This solution worked, but did not address the issue of the MS XP Setup and Installation program (running from D: CD-ROM drive) runs to fast for an experienced User to use; the blue screen pages do not pause and wait for the user to read instructions and select options thoughtfully. This issue occures on an unformatted Hard Drive or a Hard Drive with a failed OS (not bootable). The MS XP Setup and Installation programs run just fine on a Hard Drive with a good OS on it; such as when the User is upgrading from W98/Me or even reinstalling WXP.

[4] While I was waiting for the 20 Gb drive to be cloned; I reviewed the IBM Driver Download pages, which I had not looked at in a couple of months; for the IBM 380Z there was at least a dozen new device driver upgrades for MS-XP. At least on of them was an upgrade for the 380Z CD-ROM drive! This looks promising. ;)

Thank You for your attention and suggestions :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online