Installation Options

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tjmoff

How do you reinstall windows with the cab files so you don't have to have the windows cd when you install new hardware or protocols etc.? My laptop needs to be formatted and I want to use this option so I don't have to have the cd with me all the time.

Thanks

buck52

Banned
tjmoff

If you do a clean install from the Win98 CD then the cabs should be in C:\Windows\options\cabs

To have windows look there instead of asking for the CD I believe you need to make this change in the registry.

make a backup first...then do this

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter. Navigate to .....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Setup

Once you've clicked on Setup key in the Left pane, in the Right Pane you should see a Value call "Source Path". Right click on it and select "Modify". Now change it's value to

c:\windows\options\cabs\

hope that helps

buck

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online