1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installation problem for portable apps on USB "memory stick"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by topsy, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topsy

topsy Thread Starter

Immediately after purchasing an 8 GB USB flash drive with the intention of running portable applications off it on the various Windows XP machines I have to use, I had installed the Portable Apps Base (http://portableapps.com/suite) and then through it, several applications, including OpenOffice Portable, Firefox portable and Tucan Portable.

Probably after using the drive on one of my office computers, some files and folders seemed to become corrupted. After trying unsuccessfully to delete mysterious, un-openable files with special characters in their names that appeared seemingly from nowhere, I formated the drive.

After formating, I was able to copy data and music files from my computer's hard drive to the flash drive correctly. However, I am now unable to properly re-install the PortableApps Base program on the flash drive. Thus, the main purpose of buying it is
    defeated.

The PortableApps software does seem to install, but when I double-click on the StartPortableApps.exe icon on the flash drive
    (F:\Software\Portable\StartPortableApps.exe), I get various error messages. Sometimes the message says that only part of the read request could be executed, and sometimes I get "StartPortableApps.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I got the latter after scanning the drive with an antivirus (no virus detected) and then checking the drive for errors (F -> right clock -> Properties -> Tools -> Error checking).

As a lay person, my guess is that something necessary for properly installing the programs was lost when I formated the drive. However, I do not see why this should happen, because the hard drive on my home computer has been formated more than once when it became infected, but there was never any problem with installing software afterwards.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to install the software on the flash drive again.

Regards.

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

Welcome to TSG:

start, run, type cmd an click OK. in the command box, type chkdsk f: /f and press enter.

3. topsy

topsy Thread Starter

Thanks. This is what I got -- "unrecoverable error in folder software". I am attaching the screen as a pdf.

Attached Files:

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

press Y for yes :)

when done, you'll find a folder FOUND.000 on your stick, delete the folder. and then reinstall your PortableApps.

5. topsy

topsy Thread Starter

I did y and then y again ("convert folder to file" or something like that).

But there was no "FOUND.000" folder on the stick. "Show hidden files and folders" was on, so nothing was hidden.

Then I tried to reinstall. Result is the same as before - it crashes before opening.

6. topsy

topsy Thread Starter

I have a program called "Eraser" and that does see "FOUND.000" - but when I run it on that folder, the run report says "there was nothing to erase"!

7. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

save whatever files you can access from your USB stick and format again.

8. topsy

topsy Thread Starter

You are the man!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice