Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installation problems in WinXP

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Teh_Stu 
#1 ·
Building a rig for a friend. Got everything hooked up, and trying to install XP. I'm getting an error after the drivers load in the installation process of STOP 0x0000007b.

I've checked with m$ and found no help from there. The hard drives once had Win2k on them, but I loaded FreeBSD long enough to cut the partitions and FDISK from there as well with the same results.

Systems specs:

Gigabyte M61P-S3 motherboard.

2 GB Transcend DDR2 800 Dual channel RAM (2x1GB)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ AM2

PNY Verto GeForce 8500 GT PCIE (512)

SB Live!

Main HD is a Maxtor 40 gig (IDE)

Secondary HD is a Seagate 60 gig (IDE)

Lite-On CD-RW

SYBA SD-ATA133R PCI IDE Controller Card
------------------------------------------------------

I've now swapped both HDs as masters, and get the error with both, as well as 2 different copies of XP. I'm starting to think it's either the Mobo, or the controller card, but am at a loss to where to start looking.

Any help? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Teh_Stu said:
Building a rig for a friend. Got everything hooked up, and trying to install XP. I'm getting an error after the drivers load in the installation process of STOP 0x0000007b.

I've checked with m$ and found no help from there. The hard drives once had Win2k on them, but I loaded FreeBSD long enough to cut the partitions and FDISK from there as well with the same results.

Systems specs:

Gigabyte M61P-S3 motherboard.

2 GB Transcend DDR2 800 Dual channel RAM (2x1GB)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ AM2

PNY Verto GeForce 8500 GT PCIE (512)

SB Live!

Main HD is a Maxtor 40 gig (IDE)

Secondary HD is a Seagate 60 gig (IDE)

Lite-On CD-RW

SYBA SD-ATA133R PCI IDE Controller Card
------------------------------------------------------

I've now swapped both HDs as masters, and get the error with both, as well as 2 different copies of XP. I'm starting to think it's either the Mobo, or the controller card, but am at a loss to where to start looking.

Any help? :)
Have you tried just installng with one HDD and without the controller and see if you get the same error?

#4 ·
Have you tried deleting the partitions and formatting since you had free bsd on the drive?

#7 ·
Sorry it took so long to respond, I actually had to do my job LOL
Had a laptop with a power issue in one of our cars, swapped out inverters, still nothing, traced the power from the inverter to the laptop and checked the plug on the converter, bingo. Works like a charm.

Anyways, my last suggestion would be to try a different PCI slot but, if they wont load directly connected to the MB the last thing in the loop IS the mb.

Actually I have one more suggestion, put the drive in a known good tower and see what happens. If it fails then its the drive, if it loads then its the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.