1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installation problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 06s2blakeleyl, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 06s2blakeleyl

06s2blakeleyl Thread Starter

Ok the full story is. I have a computer (pentium 4) I put some more (compatable) memory in the ram slots. The computer would not read the ram and was showing that I only had 256mb when i had 2 sticks of 512 in the machine. i was making sure they were in properly swapping them about etc... Then my monitor started playing up. the computer would start but the monitor just went to standby. i have had this problem before and the problem builds section helped because i put it together outside the case and it worked etc.... so now i have the same problem but the same solution wont fix it. i also hear a beeping noise which im guessing is telling me that something isnt inserted properly (although i have tried making sure the video card and the memory are in correctly). i have only attached the video card, cpu, cpu fan and the memory which is what the problem builds page states. i dont have a clue and have been racking my brains but cant find the answer. could it be the memory slots that have been damaged in some way? can someone please help me! i have tried all i can think of and now need outside help. please help and thankyou in advance if you do. p.s please reply asap because my other post (not as detailed) only got 4 replies :(

2. ajefferson

ajefferson

Is it really compatible? I know if you have wrong RAM you'll get the same thing as you said.

Specs Plz...

3. 06s2blakeleyl

06s2blakeleyl Thread Starter

yes i know that the memory is compatable and even if it wasnt i have tried using the memory which the computer was using when i got this problem and i have also used the memory out of my old computer which i used in the computer before i bought some more so im a almost positive that it isnt incompatible ram although i am thinking it could be my ram slots......

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pull ALL of the ram out of the system. Now use a can of air to clean out the ram slots. Replace just the ram that was installed when the system was working. Now does it post/boot?
    If so, you can again attempt to install your new ram. BTW ram really does need to be listed on the board maker's site as being tested and found to work. Many times what you think is compatable ram is not; just because you have ddr2 240pin ram does not mean you can install any ddr2 240pin ram and expect it to work.

If it does not post when using the old ram, you probably have damaged something either the ram itself with ESD or you may have hit something while working in the case. Go back and reseat ALL connections ie atx power, atx aux power, ide/sata, molex, etc. Check again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice