1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installation Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heyu200_, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

ok a friend gave me a computer that had a problem that we think was from two anivirus programs conflicting...he did something that made it un bootable so he parted it out....i got the 30 gig hd...how do i install it in my computer as a slave drive...format it and use it just like another drive???

2. weeGeordie

weeGeordie

I'm assuming you know how to physically install it, find a bay--connect the power--connect the IDE cable. You need to check the jumper pin settings on your current hard drive. It will most likely be set to MASTER. You'll need to check for a MASTER WITH SLAVE setting.

On the 2nd drive set it's jumper pins to SLAVE.

There should be labels on the drives that show the various settings.

Power up and the system will assign a drive letter. If you have other drives, (ie: CD's, DVD's, etc), you will want to check to see if their drive letters change. Some of the applications that use those drives might get a bit confused.

Good luck

3. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

what about formatting and loading dos and an operating system? or will the new drive just be seen as storage for my existing os???

4. weeGeordie

weeGeordie

Your O/S remains on the exisiting drive in your system. If you don't know what caused the drive to become unbootable then you probably can't confirm whether it's still working at all. If it is working, when you install as a slave drive and reboot the existing O/S on your master drive will assign a drive letter to the new drive and it will be immediatley accessable.

5. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

Ok Thanx!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice