installation woes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Big J

I have recently finished building my new computer. I ordered most of the parts offline and assembled them myself. Here are the important specifications:

AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz
Biostar M7VIB KT266 DDR
256 MB DDR
Western Digital 40 GB
ATI Radeon 32 MB dual-display

I just bought XP and am attempting to load it on my hard drive. My system loads up just great-BIOS comes on, no errors from the POST, I checked CMOS and all the parts I installed are recognized. I have used a floppy to run FDISK and FORMAT on the hard drive. Now, when I place the XP cd into the drive and boot to it, it checked my hardware configurations and then gives me this STOP error that warns me to make sure all the devices are installed correctly and gives me a error code with the memory addresses. It looks something like this:

0x000000A (xxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx) the x's are more hex values which I assumed where memory locations. I tried rebooting and after about 5 times I gave up. I checked Microsofts site and looked up the values and it had something to do with the kernel. It suggested I turn off the cpu cache and any shadowing. I did this and XP began to load, but the rate was extremely slow (I'm assuming because of the cache being off). It literally took me 8 hours to get half-way through the installation so I just quit. My next idea was to put my new hard drive on my old computer (Celeron, 64 mb, ME) and try to load XP then tranfer the hard drive back. Well, it loaded XP and was working great, but when i put the hard drive back on my new computer it gave me another STOP error when it tried to boot the hard drive. This one I couldn't find on the microsoft site:

0x0000007E (the e is subscripted under the 7) (xxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx)

To sum it up, I think it must be a memory issue. No matter how many times I reboot, it gives me the same error message. So I think they either gave me deffective ram or I screwed it up. Just want to get some other peoples opinions before I buy more Ram. Am I forgetting something or have I missed a critical step? Thanks in advance for any help. btw, i have removed as many parts that I can that may be causing a conflict so all I have is the motherboard/cpu, ram, graphics card and monitor.

sounds like mem/cpu/mobo stuff.

not your HD.

seems like you have covered most of the steps needed,

it cant be GFX card
cant be monitor
could be mem i suppose, especially with the hex values being in the message.

try diff ram

Board has never been tested under XP. Look at their web site or contact them for the 4 in 1 drivers for XP or find when they will be available. Probably won't work with XP at this point in time.

Retraction....just read their test evaluation and it says it runs on both the home and professional versions of XP. I would suspect the memory or the IDE controller. Saw that their tests were run with DDR in 2 and 3 of the memory slots( assuming that's what 2x and 3x means).

Big J

well, I bought a brand spankin new stick of memory and no go. i'm starting to get a little irritated. here's the deal: whenever i load xp, it checks my hardware, precedes to load some preliminary files, then stops with this message:

File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
The error code is 7

Uh, great. ok, so i restart, and it gives me the same thing-everytime. so it has something to do with a file related to the nt kernel. as I did before, i turned off the cache and it began to load, but at an extremely slow rate. i really don't want to have to buy a new board so is there anything else that could be the problem? i fell like i'm paying for a whole new computer....

Just a though, if you got it clocked at 133 try bringing it down to 100 for the install.

this is weird, this is about the only thing I can find on that file

The Ntkrnlmp.exe file is used only on computers with multiple processors

I don't know much about this at all.... but... reading you original post you said " I have used a floppy to run FDISK and FORMAT on the hard drive." but, you didn't say you partitioned the harddrive... whether its one drive or more it has to be set up.
Im thinking you did do it... but reading what you said Im wondering?? Then again maybe thats what formatting does?

hers my advice since XP just came out its gonna have a few bugs. i would find u a copy of win 98 2000 or me and installit first and see if it does the same thing. if it installs fine then make sure u have everything on your pc installed and then upgrade. i did this with a freshly built pc with no probs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online