1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed 7, how to uninstall Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mahime, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mahime

Mahime Thread Starter

Just installed windows 7 and everything is working perfectly... BUT. I had my vista on D: drive, now I have 7 on C: drive but windows vista is still at D:, anyone know how to uninstall it? Tried formatting, no effect. (yes, tried cmd->run as administrator->format D:, didn't work either), so any help ?

2. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Why not just use disk manager and delete the partition that holds Vista? I don't understand why you can't format. Are you sure you are booting to 7? :)

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Are your C: and D: drives actually 2 physically separate drives or are they just separate Partitions on one drive? I would go to Computer Management - Disk Management and delete the partition as suggested either way, but remember you will have to repartition that drive or partition for the space to be available for use after you are done.

4. DVOM

DVOM

The probable reason he can't format the Vista partition is that when Win 7 was installed, it put it's boot files on the Vista partition. That's the way Windows dual boots work and why it's not straight forward how to get rid of the original OS.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's so obvious now that you mention it, DVOM, but I sure didn't think of it when I first saw the thread. :) I think one solution is to make the Windows 7 partition the Active partition, delete the other one, then boot to the Windows 7 DVD and repair the boot. If Disk Management won't/can't do it, EASEUS Partition Master can. As always when messing with partitions, be prepared to start with a fresh install.

6. antech

antech Banned

Do you have the Windows 7 Disk with you?
    If yes, the process would be less complicated than using the EASEUS Partition Master

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice