1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed a new hard drive and can't install windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jerry Pado, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jerry Pado

Jerry Pado Thread Starter

I just installed a new hard drive in a 950Mhz athlon computer and after formatting and partitioning the new drive (40 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm) with the EZ-Install floppy that came with the hard drive, on startup I'm getting a dos prompt C:\>. I tried making a set of 4 floppy boot disks from the Windows 2000 CD Rom on another computer to get it to start so I can install the operating system but can't get past the C:\> command on the moniter. I also put the Windows 2000 disk into my DVD drive but nothing happens. Can anyone help me get this operating system going? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. wedor

wedor

Is your system set to boot from floppies or the CD?

3. Dan O

Dan O

I also recommend you uninstall EZ-Install. It is not needed and makes problems for disk manage and imaging a drive. EZ-Install is provide for older PCs and OSs that could not handle hard drives larger than 2GB. As wedor suggested go into BIOS and check the settings. Under boot sequence make sure CD is listed before the C: drive. Then insert the Windows 2000 CD and reboot. It should boot off the CD.

4. Jerry Pado

Jerry Pado Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick replies. I changed the boot sequence as you suggested. When I restarted the computer I got the message

Boot from ATAP1 CD-ROM : Failure...
    Originally I was hoping to setup a dual boot system using Windows2000 and Windows XP but now I would like to just use Windows XP. There are two 40 GB ATA100 7200rpm Western Digital hard drives. I now have one setup as the master the second as the slave with jumpers set accordingly and connected to IDE 3 on the motherboard which is ABIT KT7-RAID. The DVD-ROM is set as the master and HP CD-RW is the slave connected to IDE 1. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

5. $teve

$teve

at post are all your drives recognized?
    if not double check all the conections.
    or you could try disconecting the 2nd hdd/dvd drives.

6. Dan O

Dan O

I would place the DVD-ROM on IDE0 and try it again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/92552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice