1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installed a windows update and now computer wont work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by venkmon, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

couple of days ago i installed the windows genuine advantage update, pc worked as normal after that...

have just installed another update that came through today. said there were 2 updates, didnt really take notice of what they were but one of them said something like..'malicious soft ware remover' (or something like that). promted to restart after that...restarted and now windows wont boot, just a blank screen

my copy of xp is genuine, have had it installed on my desktop for 4 years or so.

really worrying as my whole life is on that machine.

please advise.

thanks.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Try a system restore

start up in safemode
    tap F8 on restart

3. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

hi,

thanks...i keep hiting f8 when the bios screen comes up and nothing is happening.

how do i start in safe mode ? by pressing F8 ?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If your keyboard has an F-lock key, press it first before F8.

5. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

No f-lock key on this keyboard.

the windows splash screen doesnt come up at all....just goes straight from bios to nothingness, a blank screen, no mouse, nothing.

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

7. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

i cant get into windows at all, i installed this update and now it goes to the bios screen...no windows splash screen appears at all... i have been repeatedly tapping f8 and have tryed 10 + times now.

the only thing i can do is hit delete during the boot up screen which takes me into the bios options... after i exit this it goes to blank screen again.

8. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

any ideas ? very worried about this, i will have lost a ton of work if im unable to recover.

9. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

im on my laptop now and its asking me to install the same update

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
    Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB936507)
    Update for Windows XP (KB936357)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2007 (KB890830)
    Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB936557)

obviously not going to do this as it seems to have destroyed my desktop.

cannot belive this.

10. The Hound

The Hound

You should consider pulling the drive from the desktop which won't boot, slaving it in another machine, and backing up your data. If you get an 'access denied' error while doing this, follow this guide to take ownership of the files and folders on your drive. You must be logged on as administrator.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

After you're backed up, reinstall the drive, reboot, and when you enter bios try to find the option to restore bios defaults

11. bluerail

bluerail

Installed this morning's update after my son had logged off windows, and all I get now is the initial HP splash screen, won't even go to a blank screen. Keyboard doesn't work at all. My windows software is OEM, and therefore obviously authentic.

Good thing I have this old laptop, which will definitely not be updated. Unfortunately the things I need to do today, tomorrow, etc, cannot be done on this one.

12. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

mine is genuine as well.

could it be that if my windows disc is installed on more than one pc (which it might becuase this was a business machine from my uncles company) could the windows genuine advantage update have caused this becuase it already recognises another machine with the same disc ? i dont know if it is defo the case that the disc is installed on other machines tho.

13. The Hound

The Hound

That might be possible, but it's more likely that Microsoft would let you boot to a blue screen telling you that your O/S was not genuine.

14. venkmon

venkmon Thread Starter

this sucks, i have all the songs i have written on there, all the cubase project files i have ever used... a lot of which arent backed up.

is recovering data from harddrives a simple procedure ?

im going to get it looked at tomorrow but im not a happy bunny at the moment.

15. bluerail

bluerail

Is there any way I can create a boot CD from my laptop to use on my HP? The OS is the same, but unfortunately it's not an HP (it's a Toshiba which at least came with all its CDs in the box, unlike the one that's broken).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice