1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Acronis 11 on Windows 8 now will not boot

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by zorgan, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

Well Im slapping myself on the head, I installed Acronis True Image Home 11 on my machine today and on reboot it now seems to be hanging on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen, nothing seems to be happening, just hangs on this screen for ages.......

troubleshooting steps so far as follows.......

tried automatic repair but fails on windows 8 bootup cd via repair
    tried

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

with no result, the error seems to be pretty early on during the boot process, I can see the windows 8 flag for a split second then it just reboots, second time it reboots it fires into the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and seems to just hang there.

my spec is as follows.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    3TB Main OS Drive
    128GB SSD *in RAID mode with OS drive for acceleration use via Intel Smart Response Technology and Rapid Start enabled.
    8GB Ram
    i7 2600k CPU

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

When you say, you
    could you please clarify if you mean
    1. YOU SIMPLY INSTALLED the program
    OR
    2. YOU actually ran the program and prepared the image, and then rebooted with BOTH discs connected

4. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

hi macboatmonster thanks for the reply

number 1

I simply installed the software only....

5. Macboatmaster

If you boot it from the 8 DVD and on setup click next can you then get to the advanced start options, then go from there to troubleshoot or advanced again, depending on just what your system offers you and then from there to system restore - try a restore point before Acronis

If that is no good go to cmd prompt and run a chkdsk /f on the drives.

This link may well help you
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2269-system-recovery-options-boot-windows-8-a.html

and this one deals with getting there from the dvd

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2755-command-prompt-boot-startup-windows-8-a.html
    the reason I asked about the Acronis is that if the computer is rebooted with both disks connected after the clone, it will fail to boot from either and usually the only solution is a reinstall

6. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

apologies Macboatmonster I should had mentioned on my first post that I had already tried these steps, chkdsk /f was one of the first steps I had tried on the command console, I have also tried to refresh windows but drive is locked, also tried restore but it notifies me there are no restore points.

7. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

okay I have today came to the conclusion that not much else can be done but to re-install.

1. Put the BIOS back to ACHI mode instead of RAID
    2. Turned all drives off apart from my main OS drive (3TB Sata)
    3. Launched Windows 8 DVD (64-bit)
    4. Clicked Install
    5. The installation notified me that the files will be retained and will reside at c:/windows.old folder.

after installation Im now doing a bit of tinkering to do to try to get the ISRT up and running again.

but one thing I did change was the AHCI to RAID again, strange thing happened, EXACTLY the same thing
    went to boot and saw quickly a flash of the windows 8 flag then it was doing exactly the same problem as before.

after a bit of tinkering and remaining on RAID mode I decided to disconnect my external HDD Sata dock (which also has a card reader on it) and guess what happened??? it booted fine!

If anyone else has any problems with the same or similar set-up whilst doing these types of things, check if you have any card readers or external docks as they could possibly be causing issues!

I'm off to do some more tinkering and see if I can get ISRT up and running again. thanks for your assistance and responses Macboatmaster, appreciated it.

8. Macboatmaster

Congratulations
    YOU did well.

Sorry I did not think of it.

As an aside and only meant as my best advice from my experience of it
    I have used this
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

the free one - I find it a lot easier than Acronis
    In fact I think I am correct in saying that there have been reports of problems with Acronis on Windows 8 with UEFI and GPT if yours is.

Not with making the Image but with using it
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/31033

9. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

Well I had a bit of a nightmare there, had to edit the registry to enable RAID mode properly, as it kept blue screening, I have now finially enabled.........

RAPID START TECHNOLOGY
    INTEL SMART RESPONSE TECHNOLOGY

after jumping through a few hoops........had to also delete the old raid setup as the SSD was showing as non-compatible initially within the storage application (on the taskbar) so I have had a few things to troubleshoot this afternoon.

I do remember doing all this initially when setting my system up before, I think now once I get everything setup I will most certainly make a backup image, I need to watch out though, as I now have SSD caching and rapid start setup so I really need to know if the backup software works with both these enabled, or do I now have to disable it all and then do the backup?

once I'm done it may be a good idea for me to write a guide for all of this, I can assure even fairly experienced technicians would also have some trouble zig zagging their way through all of this.....it's a good feeling though when you finally get everything setup properly again.

10. Macboatmaster

Cheers did you see my last re Acronis.
    Have a look at that last link on my post 7

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098079