1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Alcohol120 192.1705 under Vista, now BSOD cycle

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by santaandy, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. santaandy

santaandy Thread Starter

Hi

I am running an HP dv6000 series laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried to install Alcohol 120 192.1705, and now I get a BSOD upon every login, even in safe mode. I cannot access the C: drive in any way. I would like to fix Windows so I don't have to do a reformat, but if I do, I'd at least like to be able to save my data.

I have installed Ubuntu on my computer to at least be able to use it.

I have tried checkdisk under recovery mode to unmount the drive, but that didn't seem to work. I don't see a make recovery disc option there. Should I use the backup files option? I do have an external hard drive with enough free space.

Unfortunately, HP decided to cheap out on a recovery disc, so I have no way of fixing Windows without one. Is there a legal way to get one without giving HP more money?

Edit: Oh crap, now that I've installed Ubuntu, I can't access the recovery manager from the boot cycle anymore at all! Now what do I do?

Thanks

Andy

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Installing Ubuntu has changed the partition tables. Did you have an empty partition for Ubuntu, or did you install it over Vista?

You don't have any recovery CD's?

3. santaandy

santaandy Thread Starter

HI

Yes, I installed over Vista. I think that may not have been the best idea. And yes, I do not have a recovery disc. HP did not send one, and I did not make one, unfortunately. Am I screwed? I just want to make windows work again and not lose my data.

Andy

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You already lost everything if Ubuntu is written over the top of it. Windows is gone. And there is no way to get the HP Master Boot Record back unless you were able to copy it from another identical machine.

You mentioned reformatting at the beginning, but if you have no disks, you can't reformat because you have no way to reinstall Windows.

Is this machine still under warranty?

There is a possibility that you could purchase some recovery disks from HP and get Windows back, but everything will be gone and you will be back to the way it was when you bought it.

5. santaandy

santaandy Thread Starter

Well, I installed Ubuntu on the same physical drive, so does that mean my data's gone? Surely, there's a way to recover that?

Andy

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

It probably does mean all is gone unless you got lucky and it did not go over Restore Partition.
    Try tapping F11 repeatedly after pressing power button, and see if you enter restore partition. If there that will put back what was there. If not then you can go online to HP and buy Restore Disks for about $12 + freight and they ship rather quickly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice