1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installed cdburner, system won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snowbird, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snowbird

Snowbird Thread Starter

I installed a hp cd burner into my system just as the instructions said with the jumpers and all being diff. on the cdrom and the burner...they are both hooked up on the same cable. the cdrom has been set on the slave and the cdburner (internal) was set at Master. My son gave this to me and he didn't send anything with it..grrr.. But anyway...I plug them cables in and the power connector and figured...ok...windows should recognize this with no problem....NOT..I went and booted my system and the darn thing started screamin at me....with the warning beeps...whats up with that. That usually is a signal for when the system gets hot isn't it?? so anyway...I unpluged the cdburner...and turned the system on again....same thing happened.....beep..beep...beep....sheesh. and it was back to the way I had it to begin with.....:confused: Lord help me...I hope the motherboard didn't fry. Thats what keeps going on in my head..sheesh. Does anybody have any idea whats up? It worked fine before I connected the cable and the power connector line. You would think the system just wouldn't recongnize it or something. hmmm Im puzzled. And I've worked and rebuilt my own puter...hope someone can help me....thanks...Snowbird

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Snowbird, Welcome to TSG.

You added the burner to your system that already had a cdrom, right? Not sure why you changed to cd rom to slave and the burner to master. First, re-set the cd-rom to master without having the burner attached and make sure your system boots as normal. If it does, then attache the burner as slave and see what happens when you re-boot.

3. n2gun

n2gun

You should set the one at the end of the to master and the one connected to the other connector to slave. Also make sure both are set to auto in the bios.

Welcome To Tsg

4. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, some reasons for bleeps after system disturbed. Memory chips have been dislodged, something is in wrong way round, two masters on one cable. Here is another way to go......as BTW put your system back the way it was, then add the extra drive using a separate cable to the secondary slot as a master. Go into CMOS and do an auto detect drive. Another option, put the secondary drive jumpers to CS (cable select). :rolleyes:

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Thread Starter

thanks for the replys.....when I connected the burner....it was set at the master setting.......already. and the cdrom was set as slave. so I figured they were already diff. from each other so I just connected them. I unplugged the system and the burner.....and left the cdrom as it was to begin with. Still it just beeps with the warning sounds. I can't even get into the system to change anything...it won't boot, because of the warning signal going off. I have no where else to plug an extra cable in...no extra slots. If I could get it back to the way it was...I would like to get into the system to check the settings..but I can't. So what do I do...ya know? Do you think I did any damage to the processor or motherboard? or the drives for that matter??? Im baffled.....I'll try some of your ideas tho...thanks...:)
    Have a great day...I'll keep in touch on this...and let you know.
    toodles...Snowbird

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check the ram chips and the video card....it sounds like you bumped something.......

7. Catmando

Catmando

What kind of beep pattern is it? Is it 1 beep that keep repeating or 1 long beep and 3 short beeps? If you can tell us, it might help to determine what's wrong.

8. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, usual configuration......IDE cable plugged into PRIMARY IDE slot. Hard drive jumpers set to 'master' and connected to the end of the IDE cable. CD drive jumper(s) set to 'slave' and connected to the first (in the middle of ide cable) connection plug of the primary IDE cable. CHECK....is the cable connected correctly i.e. the coloured side of cable should be nearest the power input of each device. Two drives set to master on the same cable will cause mass problem.

For burner, use another IDE cable pugged into the SECONDARY IDE slot and set as a Master.

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Thread Starter

Ok..I have a question...can I just set the cdrom and the burner as "Cable Select" and have it done with? on the same cable? Im afraid to try anything else....of course to this point I guess it doesn't matter huh? the hard drive is set at the Master of course....so thats why Im thinkin I should maybe just connect the two other ones at Cable sellect. would that work? I know i can't have two the same except for that... I checked my cards...vidoe and such..everything is ok and in its slot. Dang...all I did was make sure the jumpers weren't the same on the cdrom and the burner and they weren't...so I just plugged the burner into the same cable as the cdrom. I made sure that the pin stripe was towards the connecting line ...yes. the cable is connected up to the right slot also...I checked that I don't know how many times..lol. it was connected there in the beginning...so I didn't mess with it. All I want is for the Beeping to STOP DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!! LOL and for the jumpers or whatever is going on to just magically go into place......is that toooo much to ask?????LOL...yes .....(sorry...I had to vent there...lol) Okie dokie then...I'll go do somemore playing around with it..and let you know if I get any smoke coming out this time...heheehe. Boy.....puters....sheeesh. Im ok...really. toodles for now..and thanks everyone. :cool: have a good day

10. Rockn

Rockn

You may be right about the beeping being an overtemp alarm. Check all of your fans, the CPU fan most importantly to see that it is spinning. The cables and the CD-R operation are less important at this point than getting your system running again. Also check the keyboard to see if there is a stuck key. Reseat the video card if it isn't integrated on the motherboard and reseat the memory also. If that doesn't do it unplug all the ribbon cables from the motherboard and all the power connectors from the drives and try to boot again. If it boots with al the cables unplugged, shut it down and plug them in one at a time and restart to determine if one of them is causing the system to not boot.

11. Snowbird

Snowbird Thread Starter

Hi...thanks for the come back. I went back down yesterday and worked on the pc again...I thought what the heck, I'll unplug and replug the cables in again....and sure enough it caught that time....so something was out of wack for a while there. So I got it up and runnin atleast. But I didn't try putting the burner in again. I need to go in and do some searching in the system settings I think first and try again. Should I go ahead and put the burner as the secondary slave or master? the cd rom is on the slave jumper. Then I should be able to just plug it back into the same cable as the cdrom right? Im sorry to be such a pest about this guys.....I just want to get this dang burner working. I went and ordered a new puter ...lol. But I want to use this one as a back up...or for game ..ect. Thanks everyone for your input....you've taught me somethings I needed to know. I appreciate it alot. I hope you all have a great day....and I look forward to one last reply on the question I have....thanks again. Toodles for now....Your the best.. thanks Rockn. Good info to know.
    ta ta.....Snowbird

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice