1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Expansion Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tminton, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tminton

tminton Thread Starter

I upgraded the memory in a computer, booted up the computer and new memory was accepted. I shut down the computer and installed an SMC network card in a computer. I went to boot the computer up and I got three high pitched beeps, followed by a pause, then a low tone noise. Everything boots up except the monitor will not come on. I have taken out the additional memory I put in, have taken this computer completely apart and reassembled it and when I boot it up I still get the beeps and the monitor will not respond. I have double checked all the jumpers. Any clue to what this could be?

2. Norwalker

Norwalker

From that pattern, it sounds like a video problem.

Might be the Video Cards is loose in the socket. Take it out and try reinstalling it again. Also, check to see if there is any dirt/etc. on the contacts. An old trick is to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Likewise, blow out any dust/etc. in system.

Also, does it work without the SMC network card installed?

Another possibility is that it got a static charge when you were installing the network card.If that happened, the only thing that you can do is replace it.

Hope this helps

3. tminton

tminton Thread Starter

I have taken all cards out and tried to start the computer without them and I still get the high beeps with a pause and then a low tone. If I unhook the floppy drive, the low tone sound goes away, but it is replaced with several high pitch beeps. I have tried installing one card at a time and that doesn't work either. I know if your memory is bad sometimes your monitor will not come on. i have changed out the memory and installed different memory and that didn't work either. The manual to this computer under troubleshooter says it could be a bad floppy drive. I tried installing a new one and that didn't work either. I am clueless.[

QUOTE]Originally posted by Norwalker
    From that pattern, it sounds like a video problem.

Might be the Video Cards is loose in the socket. Take it out and try reinstalling it again. Also, check to see if there is any dirt/etc. on the contacts. An old trick is to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Likewise, blow out any dust/etc. in system.

Also, does it work without the SMC network card installed?

Another possibility is that it got a static charge when you were installing the network card.If that happened, the only thing that you can do is replace it.

Hope this helps
    [/QUOTE]

4. swwelsh

swwelsh

See if you can find the clear cmos jumper (usually a red jumper) and reset the bios. You should also be able to look up the beep codes that the bios is putting out and get an idea where to look. It could be just a coincidence that the board went. Things are most likely to fail when the hardware is being worked on. If you have one handy, try a different video card

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/71856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice