1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed IE7, now can't browse at all!!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bloodybloke, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloodybloke

bloodybloke Thread Starter

Hi there

My Mother-in-law's laptop recently suggested that she upgrade to IE, so i told her to go for it.
    Ever since upgrading she cannot get ANY web page to load!

The internet connection is fine, & even MS messenger was running ok???

I installed firefox & that also will not load any page. Both browsers just return an instant 'This page cannot be ......' result!

ANy help PLEEASE as she thinks i've messed up her laptop!!!

2. kirklott

kirklott

The same thing happened to me.

Firefox works, email works. But Explorer won't work after upgrade. Help?

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

There have been problems with IE 7, obviously. And M$ will continue to ram it down our throats every time an update of M$ system is run. You will have to turn off 'automatic updates' and manually check for updates other than IE 7 by manually going to the M$ updates site and using "CUSTOM." Then you can remove IE 7 from the recommended list of updates.

For the present problem, go to Start>Settings>Control Panel> double click Add or Remove - - (top line to the left). Look for IE 7 in the listing of resident programs and remove the entry. IE 6 is still resident in your system and should automatically become available again.

{redoak}

4. bloodybloke

bloodybloke Thread Starter

Thanks very much, i'll give it a try when i go to her house later on!

How would you explain me not being able to view any page through firefox though? Seemed a bit strange!!!

5. Jack1000

Jack1000

The installation of IE 7 does recommend turning off your Firewall and Anti-Virus protection until the installation is complete. Many people don't do this and as a result, lose their Internet connection.

Are you back to IE 6 now? Can you browse ok? Remember that if you want to try the upgrade again, you MUST turn off your AV program. (Right-Click in System Tray and select Exit or Disable.) Also disable your Firewall. If you are running Windows XP's SP-2 Firewall go to Control Panel, Security Center and find the prompt for Manage Firewall Settings. Set your Firewall to Off. (It says Not recommended) but you will need to do this for a successful IE 7 install. Don't forget to close out of ALL windows before installing IE 7 as well as disabling your AV and Firewall.

Upon reboot, Windows should turn on your Firewall and AV program. If not, you can now enable them, Open IE 7, visit the welcome screens, set up your settings and you should be all set.

Jack

6. patmac

patmac

Jack1000,
    I just spotted this thread, I've asked about getting IE7 within another thread, regarding different subject matter. There, someone said there is a difference between downloading and installing IE7 through Windows Updates versus directly from Microsoft. This confuses me ( easily done ), since, if this is so, what's the difference, and/or what's the need for a difference, and why the difference?
    Also, when you say to turn off the firewall and any AV software, do you mean just for downloading and installing IE7, or for the MS Windows updates in general?
    Thanks for your time,
    patmac

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice