1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installed internet explorer 5.5 over 4.0

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hmmmm, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmmm

hmmmm Thread Starter

I tried to install IE 5.5 over 4.0 and now I am unable to access virtually anything on my computer...i.e. I cannot open 'my computer', 'control panel', 'IE', any programs in fact...when I do attempt to open these there is a crash error from norton saying "there is a page fault in module Shdocvw.dll". I have checked to make sure this file is still in its correct place, it is.

Thanks,

hmmmm

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

hmmmm
    Welcome to TSG!
    Kind of a perplexing problem. Have you tried starting in safemode.
    If that is possible can you access the control panel. If you can
    Go to add/remove programs and see if Microsoft IE5.5 internet explorer is listed there. If it is click on it and click remove. Another popup will occur. First I would try a repair. If the repair does not work then I would go back to the same screen and click on the restore previous version.
    If none of the above is available or does not work then use your boot disc for whatever OS you have Win98 and above hopefully
    and boot to DOS. In WinME it is called minimal support.
    once to A: prompt type C: then enter once C: prompt is showing
    type in Scanreg /restore without the space between the g and /.
    When a selection of dates appear select a date prior to the load of 5.5.
    I hope that works because that is all I can think of. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice