Installed New DVD Burner and Computer Will Not Turn On..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Weems

I got a part for my computer, a new LG DVD Burner. I installed it and then I couldnt see the newly installed DVD Burner or my CD Burner. I couldnt figure out why this was occuring, so I just decided to do something else for a little while. Then, I was just surfing the internet doing random stuff and the computer just turned off. I am now unable to turn it on.

Rukee

Banned
try to unplug the power MOLEX cords from both CD drives and see if it will boot and run that way. Your power supply might be right on the edge of having enough power to run everything, and adding the DVD burner may have pushed it over the edge.

Weems

I unplugged both the ide cable and the power connector, but it still wont boot. :mad:

Rukee

Banned
Then your power supply may have failed, do you have another just to test with?

Weems

I dont have another one, so this probably means I might have to buy one. What brand is the best? I know antec cases come with power supplies (most of them, anyways).

Rukee

Banned
yes, they are a good brand. I stick with OCZ, but they are kinda pricey, but I want to insure I have no problems with the power supply as I tend to be a power user with a dual core CPU, two 7800 cards, and alot of overclocking, I need solid voltage rails.

Weems

I want to be sure that it works as well, but I am forced to be a bit of a cheapskate as I have 170 dollars and I need to get a new Hardrive too. Can this be done? I was thinking of getting a case with a powersupply as Im not satisfied with my compusa case.. By the way the power supply was 500watt.. can the powersupply die even though there is enough power?

Rukee

Banned
Yes it could, I have a 480 watt power supply here didn`t last a week in an older socket a system, it`s a very cheap and light weight power supply came with a case I bought.

If your system is able to use a SATA drive, I just picked up one of these and it`s very nice, fast and quiet.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148065
or if you need an IDE hard drive, I don`t care for the company, but the price is right..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144181
case with a 350 watt power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129150
would be close to what you have to spend.

Rukee

Banned
I love RaidMax cases for their looks, I have bought several of them, but their power supplies are junk!! And I mean 1st class not worth the effort to RMA it cause the replacment`s gunna be junk too junk.
...and then you still need a hard drive, so much for the hundred left over. :eek:

Weems

I can spend up to 70 dollars on a case with a powersupply or buy a powersupply and stick with my lame compusa atx case. I just dont know any of the good brands.. By the way you were right when you said ocz was out of my price range, they only have 3 items on newegg and they are all 90-200 bucks.

Rukee

Banned
the case I linked should have a good power supply. You didn`t give your full specs, but it should take care of most systems.

Weems

My CPU is a AMD 2900+, I have 1024mb of 400mhz ram, and a CD Burner, Also I have a LG
GSA-4167B DVD Burner, and a 40gb Hard-drive. I think the powersupply that failed was a powmax guardian.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online