1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed new harddrive, but computer still won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CJParent, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CJParent

CJParent Thread Starter

Hello all,

After traveling across the country in a Uhaul my PC developed a problem, here is a description of the problem:

The computer will power up and goes to the default screen preloaded on the motherboard. When windows tries to load (the Windows Vista screen with the green horizontal progress bar), it shuts down after a few seconds.

I assumed that harddrive was damaged during the move, so purchased a replacement HD and installed it. The computer powers up with no problems, and Vista begins to run when I insert the disk to re-install the OS. The problem is, the same thing happens when the computer finishes reading the files on the disk... a hard shutdown.

I'm really clueless when it comes to this. If you need me to give you more info, please let me know (as I say, I'm clueless when it comes to this).

Any help in the right direction would be great. The Best,

Chad

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds more like an overheating issue than an issue with the hard drive. I would suggest you check the heatsink and fan and make sure they are still correctly attached and didn't come loose during the move and that the fan isn't blocked from spinning by anything.

3. CJParent

CJParent Thread Starter

I don't think it's an overheating issue because, 1) I have a 120mm fan in there circulating air, but ultimately 2) I've already tested for this by neglecting to insert the OS install disk... the computer ran for an hour before I manually shut it down.

Also, I just took a closer look and the heatsink and fan are still operating correctly.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Doesn't matter how big a fan is, if the heatsink on the CPU is loose it'll take mere seconds to overheat and shutdown regardless if the fan is working on not. Also if there's no load on the system it'll stay running much longer then if there is load put on it such as booting Windows or loading an installation. What do the temps in the BIOS say?

Its not a reboot you experience but a full shutdown correct?

Have you tried to reseat all the cards and cables? Or try another power supply. Any damage to the case?

5. CJParent

CJParent Thread Starter

My apologies, I'll clarify:

The heatsink is securely fastened down and there is no apparent damage. After letting the computer idle in the BIOS Utility, the system temp stabilized at 34°C / 93°F and the CPU temp stabilized at 60°C / 140°F (given this was not under a CPU load).

You are correct, it is a full shutdown... not a restart. It shuts down as soon as windows is recognized when the old HD is installed, or when the OS re-install disk was inserted to set up the new HD.

All of the cards and connections are secure. I can yank an old PS out of a computer at my office to see if that solves the problem.
    Thoughts? I’ll get back to you with the results of the installation of an alternate PS. Thanks for your help.

6. CJParent

CJParent Thread Starter

Bump... sorry, I was hoping for some fresh brains on this one.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It does sound likely to be a PSU Problem.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The CPU temp should not be at 60 degrees by just sitting in the BIOS. Thats too high for most processors.

What are the specs of your system anyhow?

9. CJParent

CJParent Thread Starter

I just switched out the PS with an alternate PS with no luck... same problem.

SPECS:

AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core
    XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard
    Thermaltake 450W PS
    Seagate 500GB internal HD

Let me know if you need other specs.

It could very well be that the CPU is overheating...I converted an old HP case (i.e., not spectacular cooling) into an entertainment PC that is output to my 40" Samsung so that I can watch movies on Netflix. The case sits in my entertainment center and there is little ventilation. It does get warm in there, but never warm enough to cause concern.

Thanks again for all the help.

10. CJParent

CJParent Thread Starter

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well I provided my theory, 60 degrees is too hot.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice