Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installed new internal hard drive, now sound doesn't work?!?!

926 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  norton850 
#1 ·
I successfully installed a new Western Digital hard drive into my Dell Dimension 8100, which is running Win2k. It appeared to install fine, and the WD software detected it, formatted partitioned, etc. all just fine.

But now my sound doesn't work. I find this very strange. I'm no expert; this HD installation was the most significant thing I've done myself inside my PC box. I know the speakers work fine because I ran some music through them just fine.

I went to the BIOS on first startup after installing the HD and changed a setting for what looked like the hd, something like 'Primary drive 1'. I figured if that was wrong I would've had bigger problems with the hd. Could that have messed up the sound card somehow? I'm 99% certain I didn't change anything else there.

I took a quick look inside the box to see if maybe I bumped the sound card, or accidentally disconnected a cable, but all appears fine. I also checked the Device Manager and it says it is working fine. It's a Creative Audio PCI card. The Windows troubleshooter suggested trying it in a different slot. I think I have one available, so I'll try that.

Apart from that, or if that doesn't work, any ideas where to start testing?

Thanks

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.