1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed New Power Supply, Graphics Card Won't Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spectacularviews, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spectacularviews

spectacularviews Thread Starter

I had recently installed a new power supply (850 W) because my old one was starting to make whining noises that made me think it was dying. After installing it and plugging everything in I turned the computer on and everything was working aside from the graphics card. The processor fan was running, the main fan was running, but the graphics card fans were not going at all...

I swapped out the card with another (actually better) card and it worked (only problem being I don't have a proper adapter for the card to use my current monitor with.)

Is there any reason something like this'd happen? The card is PCI-E and I tried all 4 PCI-E cables for it and none of them powered it up...

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    My initial thought would be a problem with the card itself as you said you put another one in and it worked. However, I assume (from later in your post) that the other card 'working' was assumed because the fans started on it and they don't on your original card?

Do you get any output from the original card to the monitor, you only mention about the fan not working?

3. spectacularviews

spectacularviews Thread Starter

Yeah, I get absolutely no output from it.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    OK, I am still leaning toward a possibly broken card, the fact that the fan start on the other one you tested shows there is some power going to it, so if there is no fan on the old card then I would suspect the card itself to be the problem.

Is there any way you can get hold of an adaptor to test the card with the working fan? They aren't expensive and if it fixes it (by putting the newer card in) then the problem has been solved, and you have upgraded all for a fraction of the cost of a new card.

Or, does your machine have an 'onboard' graphics card you can test teh output on to make sure the sytem is actually booting up?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice