1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installed new power supply...still no power!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8nout, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Went to dinner, left PC running. Came back, PC shut down. Would not restart...no power, lights, fans, LEDs...nada, zip, zilch. We had a brown out a few days back...I figured the power supply finally crapped out. Tonight installed a new power supply (Antec Smartpower 2.0 350w). No change! I push start button....absolutely nothing.

I have checked:
    a) power at outlet OK
    b) changed power cords, original is cord OK, but I notice when I insert the plug into the recepticle there is a spark. Now I'm not much of an electrician but I don't think there should be a spark for just plugging it in.
    c) I have plugged my backup PC (this one) into the same outlet on the surge protector and it's running fine, soooo... the problem is in the computer.

If I plug the power supply in...shouldn't the PS fan run? It doesn't.
    Can there be something bad on the (shudder) mobo, like maybe the start switch or something?

Also confusing me...I have sata HD, this new PS has power plugs for sata. My old power supply only had the regular 4 pin plug that I plugged into the sata HD yet it ran fine. Do I need to use the sata plugs on the new PS?

Cripes, I'm so freakin computer impared..

Please... need help, this is my gamer PC and I'm a BF2 junkie!

Thanks for viewing this thread.
    ==================

AMD64 3000+
    GA K8NS
    ATI 9800XT 256mb
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    1 gig PC3200
    XP Home sp2

2. norton850

norton850

Is the LED lit on the MB? Try bypassing the front case switch by putting the blade of a small screwdriver across the pins on the MB that the switch connects to.

3. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...no LEDs light up on mobo. I shorted the pins for the start button... nothing.
    I read that the PS supplies 5v to the board all the time and when you hit the start switch, it's this 5v ckt that tells everything to startup. This 5v is not there...I believe the PS is tripping instanly when plugged in. But wouldn't there at least be a flash from the LEDs?

4. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

I unplugged the cdr, dvd and floppy thinking maybe a short there somewhere but didn't change anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice