Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installed new PSU and now Windows won't boot?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  WWEFreak666 
#1 ·
I'm not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software (Windows) issue...

Okay, I just installed a Corsair HX850, which is rated 80 Silver, which is apparently a good thing. I know this thing is more powerful than my previous 750W power supply. Would changing the PSU effect Windows in any way? I'm more than sure everything is plugged in and tight. I've tried numerous times and whenever I boot up my computer, it goes through the BIOS screen and then it goes to "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". The thing is Windows is already properly installed on one of the hard drives (I have two SATA hard drives). My computer was working perfectly fine with the other PSU, but with this new one, Windows will simply not boot... I may try to reinstall Windows, but can a new PSU really make it so you can't boot into Windows?

Also, I checked my BIOS and everything is being recognized... From the hard drives, to the DVD drives (I have two).

My specs are:
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.0GHz
2x 500GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate
New Corsair HX850 PSU
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
4GB RAM

See less See more
#2 ·
If your drives are not in a raid array,try changing the first boot
device in the bios to see if it defaulted to the other drive.
Other than that,changing the power supply should not affect
windows boot.
If you didn't have the computer off AC power for an extended
period and the boot order of the drives did change,then the CMOS
battery on the motherboard may be going bad.

#3 ·
Does it boot properly with the OLD Power Supply connected (if the old PSU still works)?

#4 ·
yes, it boots perfectly fine with the old PSU.

Edit: Okay, I installed Windows on the other hard drive and it works perfectly. No problems once so ever. I just don't understand why Windows refuses to boot up on the other hard drive. I can even access the hard drive (with the original Windows installation) via My Computer.

#5 ·
That is a stumper. The power supply wouldn't any effect on a windows installation. Have you tried Reinstalling Windows to the drive that won't boot?

#6 ·
I have not tried that. I'm at the point right now where I may as well completely remove windows from my other hard drive... I have the other hard drive with Windows almost fully up and running. Just have to install a few things and it'll be identical to the other Windows installation. Thanks for your help guys! I will let you all know if anything occurs.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.