1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Older OS on newer Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by imdoingme, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imdoingme

imdoingme Thread Starter

I have a Dell Studio 1555 I didnt remember the password so I tried to reinstall the OS, however I used the wrong disk. It belonged to an older computer. Now the laptop has two OS systems installed and it wont boot. It will load to the MS screen and will not go to the windows login screen. Is there anything I can do manually to remove the system? I dont have a back-up disk, or driver disk. I can get the command prompt from the older OS disk if that is helpful.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have the correct disk - that should run and you can delete the partition and re-instal

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you have the Dell System restore ( not all Dells do ) you can use that and you will not need a install CD

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=181316

If not, You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here

You can request a replacement instalation cd here:

You can go to the Dell support site, enter your Service Tag Number and download the drivers. Be sure to use IE and do not use the Dell Download Manager!

Just download the driver file, save it to the desktop and double click to install

4. imdoingme

imdoingme Thread Starter

I dont have the new Disk just the older one. If I go in the Dell Website will I be able to copy to a disk. I cant access anything but the CD boot.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

just the older what???

You can request a replacement disc at the link I gave

6. imdoingme

imdoingme Thread Starter

Thanks Rich!

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

You are welcome . . let us know how it goes!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice