1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed programs no longer showing in Control Panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KevinWB09, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevinWB09

KevinWB09 Thread Starter

Hello,

I had installed Yahoo messenger a few days ago. I had went into Control Panel shortly after the installation and uninstalled Yahoo Toolbar, which I didn't want. I then decided that I didn't want messenger installed either so went back into Control Panel only to find that it was not listed there. I also noticed that most programs normally found listed in there, such as MSN messenger, NHL07 & Spysweeper just to name a few, are also no longer in Control Panel yet each program works just fine. There are only very few items still remaining in there. And again this happened immediately after uninstalling Yahoo Toolbar. My question is how did this happen, and how can i get Control Panel to list these installed programs again?

Thank you,
    Kevin

2. Skydawg

Skydawg

You're sure all these were showing up before? Did you install these programs somewhere other then Program Files? If so, they won't show in Add/Remove Programs. Other then that, I would assume malware and ask this again inthe security section.

3. The Hound

The Hound

Microsoft says:

"CAUSE
    This problem may occur if the uninstaller for a program incorrectly removes registry entries that are used by Windows and the Add/Remove Programs tool."

Try this:

Click start, run, and type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL and click ok.

4. Skydawg

Skydawg

5. The Hound

The Hound

Yep..great minds think alike. I thought we'd try the easy one before sending Kevin off to Microsoft to read about registry editing and such...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592251