1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installed programs not shown in control panel/programs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by againusa, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. againusa

againusa Thread Starter

I encountered weird problems with my vista. Many program icons in the desktop are inactivated, and all my installed programs are not shown in the control panel/programs.

What should I do to get all my programs shown in the control panel again?

Thank you,

againusa

2. DaBeers

DaBeers

Do you have other users who are set to admin the system? Did you perform a system restore lately? Do all your drives show in "Computer"?

What you are speaking of seems like someone else is making changes you are not aware of. User created desktop icons would not be removed if a program was uninstalled or removed by a system restore. They would not link up to their .exe files though. Same if the drive is not listed.

Right click any icon in question and select properties. It will tell you the path that the icon is leading you too. Then, check that path. Make sure that the file it is supposed to execute is actually there.

If it is, you ran into a bug I have not sene since the early days of XP. Google '.ico not working' for a reg fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/790617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice