1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Quad core, 2 core temps are always frozen??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Super_Saiyan, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Super_Saiyan

Super_Saiyan Thread Starter

I like to monitor temps at all times, I overclock slighty nothing major but ever since I recently installed a Q8400 intel 2.66ghz quad core over my previous dual core all the temp programs I download like my favorite real temp, shows the first 2 cores floating back and forth from high 60's-70's and core 3 and 4 or really its listed 0-1-2-3, so core 0 and 1 change like normal in the 60F's-70F's I have a cold basement and awesome cooling and core 2 and 3 are frozen at 100 and 99. I tried CPUID HWMonitor and the same result, 0 and 1 are fine and 2 is frozen at 100 and 3 is frozen at 99. What could be causing this??

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bad temp sensors, poor programs.

3. Super_Saiyan

Bad temp sensors on a brand new motherboard? Dang, should I recheck installation for something I missed or poor programs as in are there better ones?? I just installed a new mainboard, processor..

4. Super_Saiyan

UPDATE, I tried to put some load on this cpu testing out some overclocking ability and the 2 cores that are frozen on 99F and 100F at all times, well once you get over 99F and 100F they start showing the temps, so I guess its not that bad, the two cores that updates the temps is what I can keep my eye on and once I'm over 100F I can watch all 4 cores, anyone understand why?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

60~70 is NOT normal for that cpu. Intel specs show a max temp of 72.4C. A normal temp is mid 30s or so and up to 65ish when under full load. You have some problem ie cooling, hsf not installed correctly, etc if your temps are reaching max levels. If you are running prime95 over an extended period of time, temps approaching max allowable are not unusual however in normal operations, temps like what you posted are NOT normal.

As for the 2 coress not reporting correctly, what bios version are you running? That cpu is not supported until bios FB or later.

6. Super_Saiyan

Those temps I posted were fahrenheit not celsius, I have excellent cooling I'm kinda anal about cooling, I idle around 70F which would be around 12-22C and under full load am at only around 100F which is around 33-34C. I just have the bios that came with my board, perhaps I could check some settings in my bios?

1. 2 x 16 Mbit flash
    2. Use of licensed AWARD BIOS
    3. Support for Dual BIOS
    4. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.4, ACPI 1.0b

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is best to post temps in C since just about everyone uses C for temp readings AND max temps are given in degrees C.

As I posted, you need to find out what bios ver your board is currently using. This can be done by watching post data or cpuz can give the bios version as well. If all you see during post is the splash screen, the TAB key will display post info or you can just disable the splash screen in the bios. If the screen flashes too quickly for you to read the relevant info, just hit the "pause" key; that will stop post and allow you to read the screen. Hit any key to resume post.

8. Super_Saiyan

CPU-Z says version F4 but post says V6

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice