1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Installed second SSD - No idea how to utilize it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ihasthedumb, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ihasthedumb

Ihasthedumb Thread Starter

Been around PC's before Google or broadband networks. Yet I seem to have the inability to solve my own PC problems. I installed the hard drive, diskmgmt.msc shows it as "Disk 0" with the allotted data and everything so it's plugged in right. But I have no idea how to utilize it so I can increase my computer's space. SSD space is so damn small I can only have like 3 games and some files at a time. Bought second disk to hopefully help. Need help getting it working.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What is the intent; ie do you just want to use this drive to install some games, data files, etc or what? It is also possible to replace your existing drive with the new one. Again post exactly what you want to accomplish.
    Another possibility however NOT recommended, is that you can span the two drives together. This makes one drive [actually volume is the correct term however you "See" it as one drive]
    Before you can use the drive, it must be partitioned and formatted. Have you done this task?
    Post a screenshot of disk management.

3. Ihasthedumb

screen.png

4. Ihasthedumb

Just looking to increase my computer's space for games and files. etc.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, very simple to do. Right click on the unallocated space. Choose to create partition and follow the defaults [it will use the full size of the disk] Once that is done, again right click on the new partition and choose to format. When the little box pops up, be sure it is in NTFS format and the quick format option is selected. Click OK or apply.
    Done.
    I should have added use MBR then proceed with the above.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What is your Second Drive ????
    256gig is probably the bare minimum for just the operating system
    My other drives are Western Digitals

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yeah it is not very big however the extra 120 might store a few games or a number of old games.

8. Ihasthedumb

Think that did the trick, thanks. Near idiot proof even. Gonna put a game on it and see if it's in working order. Who would of guessed DOOM of all games was like 70 gigs of space, right? Thanks for your help.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.
    That will take up most of your new drive. If you want to go ssd, I would really check into something like a 500gig or 1TB drive. Gaming takes up a LOT of space.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left. No need for this thread, I will mark it for you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice