1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Service Pack 2 and Cannot Connect

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jillian2, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jillian2

jillian2 Thread Starter

Windows installed the Service Pack 2 and asked if I wanted to restart my computer. I said yes. After the reboot, I tried to go on line and could not connect. I called Microsoft and they told me to make sure that all my drivers were up to date and that all spyware detection software was removed from my computer before reinstalling. I then called Dell, my computer manufacturer and spoke to tech support. They told me all my drivers were up to date and had me do a system restore. I did this and could then connect to the internet. Dell told me not to install the Service Pack 2 because a lot of people were having problems with it. I don't know why I could not connect after the installation.

Did anyone who installed Service Pack 2 remove your spyware detection before you installed the Service Pack 2 ? My friend did not and she hasn't had any problems . I just cannot understand why I cannot use this service pack. I know that I will eventually need to install it. can anyone help ?

Jillian

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Although I can't answer your question directly,

I would go along with the Dell techs advice, and not install SP2, at least for the time being. Wait for a couple of months and let Micro$oft iron out any bugs first.

There have been numerous problems reported with SP2 installs, although some have no trouble with it. It seems to be a program compatibility issue most of the time.

3. physician

physician

I installed SP2 and did not delete any antispyware tools. I had no problems...doc

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How are you connecting to the Internet, directly connected to a DSL or Cable modem or through a router.

Have you temporarily uninstalled 3rd party or disabled XP's built-in firewall

Is the IP address information being assigned to the computer correct for that type of connection (IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS)

Can you ping an external site by IP ( eg ping 199.181.164.1 )

Can you ping an external site by name ( eg ping www.yahoo.com )

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. jillian2

jillian2 Thread Starter

Yes , I now connect to the internet because I followed Dell support tech's advice and did a system restore. This took off the Service Pack 2 and restored my computer to the day before the install. I had no problem connecting then. I use a dialup connection . MSN is my ISP. I did not disable or remove any spyware protection before the download. I also did not disable the buit in Windows firewall. As I stated in the above post , my friend did not disable any firewall or spyware protection and she has no problems with Service Pack 2. I am going to take the tech's advice and not install the Service Pack at this time.

Thanks,
    Jillian

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!