1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installed slave hardrive, but now can't find cd-rom drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by i8reds, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i8reds

i8reds Thread Starter

installed slave hardrive, but now can't find cd-rom drive

Hi I am a newbie and don’t understand a lot of the computer jargon, but I can follow instruction so please help.

I took my old hardrive out of my old computer and changed the jumper to slave using tweezers, I connected my old hardrive into my new computer by connecting a grey ribbon cable socket which was connected to the cable to my exsisting hardrive and I also connect a socket which had 2 yellow wires 2 red and 4 back (I think.)

Once I turned on my computer windows xp desktop loaded up as usual, and in the bottom right hand corner of the screen a little box said new hardware/hardrive dettected/added (something like that)

I click on D drive in my computer to find that my old hardrive had been installed in their automatically, but d drive is where I used to play cd’s or dvd’s and I can’t play them now. When I put in a cd or dvd my computer doesn’t even detect/find it! When I click on D drive all my old folders and documents from my old hardrive are on it!

Please help me with a simple step by step guide -Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

Welcome to TSG

It seems like both of your hard drives are working so whatever you did there must have been right. ;)

As far as the CD drive one thing to check would be the connections to make sure that nothing came loose during your time inside the case. Is the CDROM all by itself on a cable? It's "normal" that the hard drive got the "D" and your CDROM should have been given another letter like "E".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/321459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice