1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed sound card... no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thursday, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thursday

Thursday Thread Starter

Hello,

I added a sound card to my HP pavilion, with Windows ME, computer and I have experienced several stages of soundlessness. Where once there was nothing, the Device Manager and Audio tab in Sounds & Multimedia now display the sound card devices (ran BIOS setup program and loaded default settings per "if all else fails" section in manual). Unfortunately... still no sound.

I'm new at this and I'm not sure what information you require.

Any help would be very appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When you say that device manager displays sound card devices does it show both the new sound card and the onboard sound card if any? if so do your speakers work when plugged into the onboard sound? If so you may have to disable your onboard sound before your new card will work. To do this determine which device is the onboard sound and remove the device in device manager. If you should want this device back instead of the sound card you can do this with a system restore. what type of sound card did you install?

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Hello Thursday,and welcome to TSG...

Well...,to start with,you probably didn't do yourself any favor if you set your BIOS to the "Default Value" settings.
    So we will take this slowly...
    First of all,I would like to know if the system had sound before you added this card?
    It may have had an on-board sound device that was not disabled in the BIOS after you installed this card,and the system gets confused as to what it should use.

When installing sound cards,it is generally best to first disable any on-board device,then install the software (drivers,etc) then install the physical card.

4. Thursday

Thursday Thread Starter

I did have on-board sound that worked (Crystal Audio), but all sources indicated that I needed to disable on-board sound to install a new sound card. There wasn't anything for me to disable in BIOS (according to my manual, it is because of Plug & Play ?) At present time, the device manager only shows the new sound card. I guess I will back the story up a bit...

It was necessary to perform a system recovery some time ago; afterwords, my sound seemed to be operating normal, even with games. However, I went to install a new game and it said my sound system did not make the grade and that is why I purchased the new sound card which I could not get to work.

I went back and tried to get the on-board sound again, but I didn't have any luck, so, once again, I tried the sound card and now I am back to where my story began.

When I was trying to get the on-board sound back, I tried using my 3rd recovery CD to restore any drivers, but it did not work.

Would a system restore work after all this?

Whew!

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes a system restore would work after all this. Though make sure you back up all your data as it will be lost in a system retore. You will basically end up with everything the way it was to begin with. Your onboard sound will work. Make sure you remove the sound card before doing a system recovery though. Then if you want to give it a try, remove your onboard sound in device manager.shut your computer down and install your sound card. along with all the software it requires.

6. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

I have worked on many H.P's in a shop. Usually, the bios is set up that if you use the first PCI slot, it automatically disables the onboard sound. However - I will say that all HP bioses have a way to simply disable onboard sound - perhaps you did not look far enough in your bios. You may have to dig into other menus, to actaully get to a "submenu" that is your sound value. When you set your bios to optimized, it should have been ok, as HP's almost always come that way in fact - with settings at optimized defaults. If you did actually used the first PCI slot, then that is probably why your onboard sound was no longer working, but it is still best to "disable" onboard sound, then load the card into PCI slot #1, then let Winxp "auto detect" your hardware (you should see xp recognize your card). Then...you would cancel out of the "found new hardware screeen" and manually load the drivers either off of a disk (make sure they match your OS) - or a fresh download from the net.

After probably over 50 or more HP's worked on over the last year- I can tell you that the bios does in fact have a way to enable/disable onboard sound - dig deeper in there. Good Luck. Also, what sound card are you installing?

7. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Rox Shox:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "then let Winxp "auto detect" your hardware (you should see xp recognize your card)."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She is using ME,not XP...
    But,it will work the same way with any Windows OS.

8. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

98/me yes. 95 No. 2000 yes. NT 4.0 No.

9. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

ME should recognize it just like 98 SE and XP. But even if it is a card that is not initially recognized, specific manual driver setup for that paticular operating system is needed. ME is very tempermental. so you would want to make very sure you load ME specific drivers.

10. Thursday

Thursday Thread Starter

This is great. I am going to remove the sound card and then do a system restore. At that point, I will decide whether to stay with the on-board sound or go with the sound card. If I decide to do the sound card, I will disable on-board sound first in device manager.

The sound card was cheap "Philips Dynamic Edge 4.1". The first slot doesn't have the little platform to snap it into. The next two slots have cards and that left the last one???

I agree... ME is temperamental. That is my next project... update to windows 2000 or XP.

Well, thank you dustyjay, GwizJoe and Rox Shox. I have been without sound for over a month now. Unfortunately, I can't get to this until the weekend, but I will let you all know how it goes.

... to the weekend!

11. zeddy

zeddy

............and obviously make sure you are plugging the speakers into the right socket (I know, but you would be amazed at how many people don't!).

12. Thursday

Thursday Thread Starter

I was unable to use the system restore. No dates prior to 9/30/03 were available... and 9/30 was after I disabled the on-board sound. I believe I did a system recovery around that time.

Unless there is still a solution that a novice can handle, I think I am going to admit defeat and ignorance and take it out to be fixed.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

13. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

OK...,so you were able to find the on-board sound settings in your BIOS and now know how to completely disable them,right?

Once you disable it in the BIOS,then "remove" that item from the Device Manager and it should be completely gone.
    Remember to reboot and check to see if anything is "found" by ME...,it should not be found at that point.
    Shut the system down and install the sound card,then boot it up to see if it is "found" and drivers are requested.
    Once you do that,installing the sound card drivers should be easy using the installation disk,and/or downloading the specific drivers for ME.

(sorry,I had it backwards before,install the card and let the system "find" it,then install the drivers...)
    (geezzz...,what was I thinking??)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice