Installed vista, can't find any networks, please help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jakedog7

I just recently installed windows vista on my toshiba laptop model L3O5D. Every thing went smoothly and before you know it I was up and running, with one major problem, I can't find any networks to connect to to access the Internet. Any help would be appreciated!

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Are you looking for a network to which you can connect by ethernet or by Wi-Fi? Where in the world are you?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
At least in the US McDonald's, Pandora and Starbuck's have Wi-Fi access, plus many libraries.

Jakedog7

I don't know what I'm talking about haha, I have a router in my home that I cannot seem to connect to, when I diagnose this problem, it says " the network adaptor Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) is experiencing driver or hardware related issues, hope this will allow you to give me a better answer :)

Jakedog7

Ok so through further researching I found out that the vista I installed was missing, or my laptop didn't support, the wireless networking hardware. What isbthe easiest way to download this?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
If you are trying to use an integrated adapter get the driver from Toshiba's web site.

If an external adapter get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

Jakedog7

I went to toshibas website and found the a WLAN adapter that fit my model and operating system and still no luck, maybe I downloaded the wrong thing?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Dunno. Sometimes you have to install the latest chipset drivers and then the networking. Try that, then ...

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

Jakedog7

There is an error symbol (yellow triangle) in the device manager and when I diagnose it it says what the 5th post says, I'll try the chipset and hopefully that will work

Jakedog7

Well, I've downloaded the chipset driver onto a USB but now I've run into a completely separate problem, when I turned my computer on, the screen didn't come on. The fan and the lights are all on but not visual, not even the toshiba startup screen. Any ideas?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
I suggest that you open a new thread in the Hardware forum for the screen problem. Then come back here after you get that working. One thing to try is an external monitor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online