1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed vista, can't find any networks, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jakedog7, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

I just recently installed windows vista on my toshiba laptop model L3O5D. Every thing went smoothly and before you know it I was up and running, with one major problem, I can't find any networks to connect to to access the Internet. Any help would be appreciated!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you looking for a network to which you can connect by ethernet or by Wi-Fi? Where in the world are you?

3. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At least in the US McDonald's, Pandora and Starbuck's have Wi-Fi access, plus many libraries.

5. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

I don't know what I'm talking about haha, I have a router in my home that I cannot seem to connect to, when I diagnose this problem, it says " the network adaptor Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) is experiencing driver or hardware related issues, hope this will allow you to give me a better answer :)

6. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

Ok so through further researching I found out that the vista I installed was missing, or my laptop didn't support, the wireless networking hardware. What isbthe easiest way to download this?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are trying to use an integrated adapter get the driver from Toshiba's web site.

If an external adapter get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

8. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

I went to toshibas website and found the a WLAN adapter that fit my model and operating system and still no luck, maybe I downloaded the wrong thing?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Dunno. Sometimes you have to install the latest chipset drivers and then the networking. Try that, then ...

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

10. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

There is an error symbol (yellow triangle) in the device manager and when I diagnose it it says what the 5th post says, I'll try the chipset and hopefully that will work

11. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

Well, I've downloaded the chipset driver onto a USB but now I've run into a completely separate problem, when I turned my computer on, the screen didn't come on. The fan and the lights are all on but not visual, not even the toshiba startup screen. Any ideas?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest that you open a new thread in the Hardware forum for the screen problem. Then come back here after you get that working. One thing to try is an external monitor.

13. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

Ok I'll do that

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice