1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Windows 7, now computer keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ShadedLotus, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShadedLotus

ShadedLotus Thread Starter

A few days ago I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, which previously had been running Windows Vista 32-bit. Since installing the OS, my computer has begun shutting down unexpectedly. There are no warning or error messages; the laptop just shuts down. It initially appeared as though my computer was overheating, but all of the air vents were still quite cool. I ran the Windows Experience Index program to determine my computer's performance ratings, and my computer received a 1.0--a significant drop from the 4.9 that it had received before I installed Windows 7. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem?

PC specs:

Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHZ 1.67 GHz

2. huggie54

huggie54

have you looked in device manager ,any yellow ! or red Xs,its probably drivers need updating

3. ShadedLotus

I just checked. There are no red x's and only one yellow exclamation point, for my Mass Storage Controller. I clicked on it to see the details, and it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver." I clicked "update driver," but I received an error, saying that it could not find the driver for the program.

4. huggie54

huggie54

from the details tab write down the VEN_**** & DEV_**** numbers and search on their web site for drivers

5. ShadedLotus

Alright, I'll try that. But I feel as though there has to be more to this issue than just that driver. Do you have any other suggestions?

6. gyclone

gyclone

If it's a hardware problem, and not due to overheating, then it is most likely the power supply (not the cord, the power supply unit inside the computer). Those are usually pretty cheap. Google your model # and you should be able to find some cheap after-market replacements, and, you'll be able to get a feel for whether or not other owners of your machine are having the same problem.

As for software, I've never had a positive experience upgrading from one Windows OS to another, other than going from a Home to a Pro of the same OS (e.g., XP Home upgraded to XP Pro). Assuming you have the appropriate software and license key, I'd highly recommend backing up all your data and all your drivers, wiping the entire system, and doing a fresh install of Windows 7. It seems like a lot of trouble to go through, but it will probably save you time in the long run.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most times the drivers Windows 7 installs work fine, but sometimes not. When you have trouble after a new install I suggest getting and installing the drivers from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's site, starting with the chipset. If there are no Windows 7 drivers usually the Vista ones will work fine.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What was the particular item, or items, that received the 1.0 rating (your overall experience rating is equal to the lowest component rating)? That may give a clue if it is a driver issue, as I suspect.

OTOH sudden complete shutdown, as gyclone posted, suggests power supply to me.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice