1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed Windows XP, but...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dickster, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Wanted to also keep Win98. Created a new partition with Partition Magic 7.0, and installed XP. Indicated that I wanted to keep other OS. When I rebooted, seems I lost Win98. Is there an easy way to get it back? If so, can you explain in simple terms, for this simple mind, how this can be done?

Thanks much!!

2. brianF

brianF

Not sure if this will work for xp but it works for 2k.

Go to my computer, right click, select properties, advanced tab, startup and recovery button, check box for display a list of operating systems.

That is of course if xp didn't overwrite win98, it should give you the boot menu to choose which os you want to run.

3. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Just checked that, but only shows WinXP. Guess it did overwrite Win98. Is there any way to recover from that, or am I stuck with just XP? Once again, thanks!!

4. Dan O

Dan O

I did a simular thing I add a new hard drive and installed XP on it. To access Windows 98, edit BOOT.ini and add the last line like below:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98SE"

The file BOOT.ini is a hidden file so you may have to change your View options to find it or use the ATTRIB command.

5. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

After doing several searches, the only one I found was "boot.ini backup" Changed it to your settings and rebooted. Allowed me to select OS. Went for Win98, but came up showing a bunch of files missing. Guess Windows XP took over my system. Not sure how to get the files back.

Once again, thanks!!

6. Dan O

Dan O

What's the status of your problem?

7. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Couldn't connect for several days. My status as of today is as follows. Can't boot up and select O/S. When I boot into Win98, get page that says missing or corrupted files;

C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS

C:\WINDOWS\FSHLP.SYS

COMMAND.COM

Can still boot into WindowsXP with no problem.
    Thanks for your time!

8. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Meant CAN boot up and select O/S.

9. Dan O

Dan O

The file are damaged or missing and you to extract new copies of them from your Windows 98 CD:

Boot using your Windows 98 Startup diskette.

Insert your Windows 98 CD and then.

d:
    cd\win98
    and enter:

i.e.
    extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys

Then reboot.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice