Installed Windows XP SP1 onto my new hard drive!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMT74

Hi. I just installed Windows XP SP1 onto my new hard drive because my other one is finished. I ordered the XP SP2 cd from the microsoft website and it should be here tomorrow or so. Should I wait before I install the updates that are ready for my computer right now from auto update or should I install these now and install the SP2 cd when I get it? Also I installed AVG Free Edition Antivirus. The Windows firewall is on and I have a Linksys router which I believe has a built in firewall of it's own. Do you think I am putting myself at risk not having another Firewall to go with the AVG antivirus?

You can wait for the SP2 CD then do Windows Update to see if there are more you haven't gotten yet. IMO Windows firewall is fine if you can be careful about what you download.

JMT74

What Firewall might you recommend to run with AVG Free Antivirus?

brendandonhu said:
You can wait for the SP2 CD then do Windows Update to see if there are more you haven't gotten yet. IMO Windows firewall is fine if you can be careful about what you download.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Make sure to disable or turn off the antivirus program before starting the SP2 upgrade so it doesn't interfere with or abort the upgrade process.

Once the SP2 upgrade is installed and you go to the Windows Updates site to do a scan, you should find over 30 critical updates waiting to be installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online