1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installed wrong drivers to motherboard, nothing works!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acorneye, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acorneye

acorneye Thread Starter

About a week ago I used a program called Driver Updater by Auslogics. It said I had around 35 "outdated" drivers so I went ahead and installed them all and then restarted my computer. Then, when my computer started, nothing came on. No monitors, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing. What can I do to repair my computer?

I attempted to switch out the HDD with a spare to no avail so I believe the problem lies solely with the motherboard. Though I fear that other components of my computer might have additional issues contributing to the issues. I think I need to boot into safe mode somehow, except unfortunately I can't because I'm on Windows 10 and that feature was removed.

Thanks for reading! I hope this can be solved with ease.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. acorneye

acorneye Thread Starter

None of those can be preformed, as I have no working monitors, keyboard, or mouse. @SpywareDr

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Is it a Desktop, laptop What?
    Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
    Need to know the motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts. There are ways to boot in to Safe Mode in 10 but it varies per computer. You may be experiencing Windows 10 "black screen".

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just so we understand; when you pw ON, you do not get anything on the monitor ie no splash screen, mfg screen, POST, data? Is that correct? You are not able to enter the bios, is that correct?
    If so, the problem is not drivers. No drivers are loaded until windows loads.

If this program you used did a bios update along with driver updates, that may explain the condition you are encountering.

As asked above, you need to provide a LOT more info regarding this system.

7. acorneye

acorneye Thread Starter

Okay, let me go ahead and answer all of your questions.

The computer is a custom-built desktop that is just under 2 years old.
    Specs: (to the best of my knowledge)
    MB: Krait x99 Gaming
    GPU: Zotac Amp! 1080 Ti
    CPU: Intel 6700k (I believe)
    PS: 850W Corsair CX
    RAM: 8 GB (no clue what brand)
    HDD: Seagate 1TB

I'm sorry but I do not know the exact specs off-hand in more detail than this and have no way of checking without disassembling my PC.

When I power on the PC my monitor receives no input at all. It is not the cord or the monitor. I have already attempted switching both of those things out. Nothing will come on the screen at all.

Furthermore, my keyboard and mouse are not even lighting up or anything as they usually do when the computer switches on. They are not receiving any input from the MB. I have tried all the USB ports.

I know that the issue has to be the motherboard having completely wrong drivers because this issue happened the first restart after this program ran and installed a bunch of new drivers. I am not sure if the driver issue affects just the motherboard or is affecting the GPU as well. I am not sure how to restore anything without having access to a keyboard, mouse, or monitor. I have tried changing out the HDD just because I had a spare and it did not fix anything so I believe the internal drivers of the MB are most definitely affected.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions let me know. If you need me to try to discover the specs of my PC in more detail I am able to do that and I will if it comes to that.

Thank you guys so much for your insight, I really appreciate it! :)

@crjdriver @lynx1021 @SpywareDr

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I told you, drivers have nothing to do with this problem. No driver is loaded until windows loads. If you are not getting a motherboard splash screen or POST data, drivers are not the problem.
    The only thing that this program might have done is flash or update the bios [which is not a driver] This is about the only thing [other than a hardware failure] that would cause this issue.

9. acorneye

acorneye Thread Starter

Okay, I see what you are saying. How could I go about fixing that then?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can try some basic troubleshooting. Do the following;
    1 System OFF and unplugged, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out your video card and reseat in the slot. Make sure it is fully seated. Generally you would pull out the card and use the onboard port on the motherboard however your board does not have an onboard port [your cpu has onchip video however there is no way to use it with your mb]
    3 Pull out the ram and reinstall a single ram chip in whatever slot your manual says to populate with a single chip
    4 Pull out any other add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, etc. You may not have any other cards so if not, do not worry
    5 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave your keyboard connected
    6 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
    7 Clear cmos with the clear jumper or use the clear cmos button [read your motherboard manual]
    8 Pw ON and see if the board will POST. If it does, shutdown and start connecting parts one at a time until you find the failed part. If it will not POST, you will need to swap parts with known good units, ie pw supply, ram, motherboard, etc

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do the basic troubleshooting first. Some motherboards have a bios recovery feature. I never use msi boards so I would have to look at the manual.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are in luck. I checked the manual for your motherboard and it has dual bios. It is not automatic like a gigabyte board however there is a switch on the motherboard you move and the backup bios will boot.
    First do the troubleshooting outlined above. Then read the manual and make sure you fully understand how to switch bios [it is pretty simple just a switch]

Before switching the bios, make sure it is not some other hardware issue ie the reason for doing the troubleshooting.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. Do not ever use a driver updater in the future. The ONLY place to download drivers is the motherboard or video card mfg support page. If updating any other hardware ie router, raid card, etc, go to the support page for that device. Using a driver updater is just asking for a problem.

14. acorneye

acorneye Thread Starter

UPDATE: I have been busy the past couple of days and have finally gotten around to attempting this. However, I have now realized I told you the wrong motherboard unit, therefore this is not relevant. I'm sorry for wasting your time. The correct MB is an MSI Krait Z170A. I tried all the troubleshooting to the best ability to no avail. Now that you have the proper unit, is there anything I can do to fix the PC?

Thanks!

@crjdriver

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice