1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installer (GameRanger) still connected to internet, what is it doing?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aSILENTfire, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

Today I installed a multiplayer game client called GameRanger, which still supports Age Of Empires II. Its a decent client and I love how it brings me back to the good old days of AOE2 before multiplayer support was dropped.

Anyways, a few hours after I installed GameRanger I checked the task manager and I noticed that GameRanger (32 bit) was still running. This made me curious so I checked CurrPorts, which shows active ports and the processes using them, and I see GameRangerSetup.exe on the list with an active connection.

Here is what CurrPorts has to say about it:

Process Name: GameRangerSetup.exe
    Process ID: 5032
    Protocol: TCP
    Local Port: 1427
    Local Address: 192.168.0.31
    Remote Port: 80
    Remote Port Name: http
    Remote Address: 199.189.108.180
    Remote Host Name: dl1.gameranger.com
    State: Established
    Product Name: GameRanger
    File Description: GameRanger
    File Version: 1, 0, 0, 0
    Company: GameRanger Technologies
    Remote IP Location: United States, Providence, 84332

Process was created over 5hr ago on this machine by my user

I see that its connected but I cant see its bandwidth usage, much less what data it is sending/receiving.. I would like to see what its doing, is that what a Packet Sniffer is? I don't like the idea of installing WinPcap on my computer, but I suppose I could use it temporarily.

What is the best[SIZE=4] wa[SIZE=4]y t[SIZE=4]o [SIZE=4]se[SIZE=4]e the dat[SIZE=4]a that this process is se[SIZE=4]nding/[SIZE=4]receiving[SIZE=4]?

[SIZE=4]Thank You![/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice