Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installer runs everytime a program starts.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  donegal 
#1 ·
hi,

after i installed sp2 i try to start a program and the windows installer for
that program would run and i would have to cancel the installer before the program would start.

for an example i start msn messenger the installer for messenger would start
i canel it and then program will start.
it seems that any program that was installed using windows installer has
this problem

I`ve Tryied using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility it works ok, but i have to reinstall the program that i "cleaned up" and then the problem comes
back .

Any ideas
Thanks
Brendan

#2 ·
Do yourself a favor and UNINSTALL SP2 until Micro$oft decides to FIX it, which they SHOULD have done BEFORE they released it, although THAT would violate the M$ tradition of letting the VICTIMS do the real-world testing.

Give my regards to the Chieftains.

Good luck - HTH

- slingshotter

EDIT: Welcome to the TSG forums!

#3 ·
Same here. Tech support definitely says it is SP2 related, mine actually started before I installed all of SP2, (some SP2 hotfixes installed automatically early August.) Here is the temp fix. Go to control panel, click on Administrative Tools, then Services(NOT Component Services) and scroll to the bottom and highlight Windows Installer, right click, select properties, under Startup Types, click disable. When you need to install a program that needs WI, it will tell you and you can come back and set it to manual. After you do this, Installer comes on screen VERY briefly(sometimes you cannot even see it) then goes away. Just an annoyance so far, HJT shows nothing unusual, same with CWS and Ad-Aware, so all signs point to bug in SP. Good Luck

#4 ·
Try this:
To fix Windows Installer

Click START, and then click RUN.

In the OPEN box, Type msiexec /unreg, and then click OK

When this process is complete, click START, and then click RUN.

In the OPEN box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK.

Hope this works for you.

#8 ·
Why don't people wait until it's officially released rather than installing it early and then complaining it doesn't work? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.