1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installer was jammed, now Windows Updates download but won't install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AJXP, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AJXP

AJXP Thread Starter

My Mother-in-law pulled out a program disc halfway through installation, which jammed up windows installer (every time windows was started, a message came up saying to please put in the install disc). I fixed that by finishing the installation (putting the disc back in 4 or 5 months later, we don't get to visit much), but during the time she had the problem, which was right when she got the computer, 97 or so Windows Updates downloaded to the computer, but couldnÂ’t install.
    These files include everything from the service packs (which are supposed to install by themselves), to critical updates. The computer is very slow at startup, and wants to install the files at shutdown. No error messages, but the files remain there wanting to install.
    I just want to find the file where the downloads are sitting, wipe them out, and start again. Any ideas? Windows XP.

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

3. AJXP

AJXP Thread Starter

Thanks Bill,

From the site: When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program (that was true, due to user error). You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful (I was successful).

I am able to install/uninstall any program now, it's just the 97 or so Windows Updates in queue that I can't resolve. I just get the feeling there are too many, or not in the right order. The reason I say right order is that on the Windows Update site, some updates state certain updates must be uploaded first or by themselves.

The state the 97 or so are in, is that the computer states "updates are ready to install", everything goes fine (no errors), it states to reboot, but after restart the 97 or so are still there ready to install.

I'm going there later today, but she has VERY SLOW dial-up, so I'm trying to get as many ideas as possible while I'm on a fast connection.

4. 12tipp12

12tipp12

5. AJXP

AJXP Thread Starter

Thanks again. I read that one early this morning before I posted. I have it on my jump disk ready to try.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice