1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing 2 old graphics cars from broken machines onto another one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stringbean404, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stringbean404

stringbean404 Thread Starter

I have two Compaq Deskpro E550s in my room. They used to work fine, but then somebody (I won't say who) took them apart and killed their motherboards. I want to take the two Matrox G200s out of them and install them in a Compaq Presario 5340. These cards alone could run Windows XP very well but since I had two of them I decided to try to install them on my Presario. I also was thinking about taking the memory from the Deskpros and putting that in the Presario as well. Those Deskpros use the same kind of memory: PC100 DIMM SDRAM so I think I will be fine. However, I do not want to risk breaking yet another machine because my dad will get pretty angry. So I'd like to know if I might run into any issues while doing any of this and if the two Matrox Cards can work in harmony. Thank you.

2. rugrat

rugrat

My suggestion,
    Forget about the dual card option. Your memory should be fine. What operating system is now on the machine? If you have the 400MHz AMD-K6-2 machine, XP will be slow regardless of memory and video card. Installing one video card should be no problem.

SeeYa

3. stringbean404

stringbean404 Thread Starter

Just in case you still wanted to know I have Windows ME

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice