1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing 2nd hard drive from old machine into new machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dehlerdr, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dehlerdr

dehlerdr Thread Starter

My old E-machine power supply died so I purchased a COMPAQ SR1834nx. There is room for additional drives. When I installed the drive from my old machine it wouldn't boot up. What do I need to do to install my old drive?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to jumper it properly. I suspect your Compaq, being reasonably new, is jumpered for CS (cable select). Jumper the old drive the same way, and then connect it.

3. norton850

norton850

Hi and welcome

Please provide a little information if you can. Your new system does it have a SATA hard drive? The drive you took from your old system is most likely an IDE drive. Does it have a different looking cable than your new one? How did you hook up your old drive? Meaning does it share any cables with other drives lke a CD or DVD drive.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As happens many times when a power supply goes out it can take other components with. One component that I have lost frequently due to power supply failure is the hard drive. And many times the now bad hard drive will cause the computer not to boot even if it jumpered properly and installed as slave. It is possible that this is what has happened.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice